Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

best spot to shoot a deer

Old 12-29-2005, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: best spot to shoot a deer

utm,
the neck shot with a gun is ok because a gun has enough shock to break thier neck and kill them. You still need to be a good shot.
THe neck shot should not be taken with a bow, because it is a very small target and doesn't always result in a dead deer.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:40 PM

In the boiler room. Right behind the front legs. They don't run far with a heart or lung shots
Old 12-29-2005, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

i shoot them right behind the shoulder.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:19 PM

i never shoot for the neck ofa deer although i kow it is very effective because the deers spinal cord is in there and causes the deer to drop but if its a big deer and your bulet makes and exit whole it could be catastrophic for it being able to be mounted. I shoot for the lung/heart area whether it be broadside or strait on in the chest. some of you may wander why i shoot one in the chest and not worry bout the mount, its beacuae there alot of body behind the chest and usually will never make an exit whole and if it does it will be back far enough not to hurt the mount.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:39 PM

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

I doubt a broadhead would even penetrate far enough intothe skull to kill a deer.
A friend of mine whois a taxidermist had several deer laying on the ground and told me to go look at a nice 10 pointer. Upon closer examination I realized someone had shot at this deer from a tree stand. It had an arrow sticking about a quarter of an inch out of the top of his head, the broadhead was still attached sticking out the lower jaw.

I opened his mouth, he had been chewing on acorns and realized the arrow could be seen in the back of his mouth surrounded by food.

The funny thing was, it was the second day of gun season and was killed with a 30:06 straight through the heart. He must of had a bad head ache for a long time.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Behind the shoulder.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:55 PM

I think it's best to shoot them in the woods. lol