Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

best spot to shoot a deer

Old 12-29-2005, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best spot to shoot a deer

Behind or through the shoulders is a great shot with a gun. A lot of people scoff at breaking the front shoulders...but it puts them down,and really doesn't ruin all that much meat.

I did shoot a buck in the head with a bow a couple years ago. Didn't mean to...hit a branch. He looked like Steve Martin when I got to him. He dropped on the spot. Would I reccommend that? Hell no. Of the 35+ deer I've killed with a bow...only 3 have not been hit behind the shoulder.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

best spot to shoot a deer
Femoral Artery[:-]
Old 12-29-2005, 06:19 AM
Dominant Buck

All depends on the given situation. 1/2 the deer I killed never offered a broadside shot. This year's buck was in heavy brush and I could only see the neck turning back to look at me. The 30-30 hollow point dropped him immediately. But I do believe the idea shot is a heart shot. One needs to study hard and memorize exactly where the heart is. I hate seeing animals suffer and try to shoot to kill quickly.
Chuck7

Old 12-29-2005, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Really depends on the deer for me ..if its a big buck I want to try and shoot him in the front sholders to break him down that way I feel sure he will not go very far and I am not that concerned with the meat of an older buck... if I am meat hunting and going to shoot a doe obviously I want to try and shoot her in the lung area so not to mess up the meat ...

dd
Old 12-29-2005, 07:42 AM

With a rifle i go for the front shoulders or neck so that they don't move. For the bow the best is a double lung or heart shot. I've seen to many deer running through the woods with their mouth blown off from people making bad head shots to never recommend such a shot.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath
Like my ole pappy always told me ..hunt with the wind in your face and shoot'em where they are the BIGGEST !
dd
I agree!Gun, or bow,lung shots damage very little meat, and is the best target!
Old 12-29-2005, 11:29 AM

I've seen to many deer running through the woods with their mouth blown off from people making bad head shots to never recommend such a shot.
That would be a definate ass BEATEN if I found out who done that crap. Thats the garbage I am talking about. I dont 'know why ppl act so ignorant in the woods.

Why is the neck shot a choice? Is it because of the artery? would that take a while for them to die?
Old 12-29-2005, 11:55 AM
Dominant Buck

If you are lucky enough to hitthe Epicenter wheretheArotasgo from the heart to the Lungs, he'll be a Dead Deer walking!
Old 12-29-2005, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

The absolute BEST place to shoot a deer is very close to the truck.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:35 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: 8mm/06

The absolute BEST place to shoot a deer is very close to the truck.

Yep! Have to agree with that one!

Quick Reply: best spot to shoot a deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.