HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   A full moon good for hunting or bad? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/125196-full-moon-good-hunting-bad.html)

ALHunter74 12-15-2005 08:28 PM

A full moon good for hunting or bad?

I've heard it's bad due to the deer being able to see better at night and will feed all night long.

Kybuckhunter 12-15-2005 09:11 PM

RE: A full moon good for hunting or bad?

I pay zero attention to the moon phase. I think many other factors are more important. I just hunt when I can and don't let the moon keep you at home

deerslayer223 12-15-2005 10:32 PM

ive killed deer in every phase of the moon... so i dont buy into the whole moon phase bologna. I go hunting whenever i have a chance regardless of the moon and usually regardless of the weather to thats why i buy good gear.

JagMagMan 12-15-2005 11:29 PM

I've always seen fewer deer during full moons. That said, you can't kill 'em in front of the TV set! I hunt whenever I get the opportunity!

Finch 12-15-2005 11:38 PM

I don't believe in that full moon B.S. It may be true to some extent but like someone else said, "you can't kill one in front of the T.V.

cutter81 12-16-2005 02:43 AM

This is a very opinionated question. And I think it has alot to do with where you are. This week is the full moon and I saw 1 deer in 3 days of hunting dark to dark. Yet when I drive home I am seeing deer everywhere. Several of my buddies are saying that they are not seeing deer this week either. Seeing one deer in 3 days of hunting may not be unusual to some but where I hunt I am used to seeing 15-20 or more deer a day. And nothing has changed as far as hunting pressure, food, weather. Just the moon. That's my opinion, I'm looking forward to seeing what others think.

JagMagMan 12-16-2005 02:58 AM

Deer areGOING to move several times each day! How much they move depends on many factors, rut, weather, pressure, food availability, etc! Couple a full moon, with good weather, and most of the activity is going to be at night!

Rickmur 12-16-2005 04:43 AM

The peak of the rut is during a full moon, do you not hunt then?

DoctorDeath 12-16-2005 05:17 AM

I hunted last year in Canada during the full moon and took my big NT but it was durung the rut ... Ive always seen more deer during the middle of the day when the moon is full ....

dd

jerseyhunter 12-16-2005 05:59 AM

I've always seen fewer deer during full moons. That said, you can't kill 'em in front of the TV set! I hunt whenever I get the opportunity!
I ditto that. However during a full moon I see more at mid day than am or pm .