Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Dog hunters, please feed your dogs >

Dog hunters, please feed your dogs

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dog hunters, please feed your dogs

Old 12-10-2005, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Dog hunters, please feed your dogs

Title says it all. THis is not directed to all dog hunters, just those that allow the animals in their charge to become skin and bones. Their is no excuse for starving an animal that depends on you. I am no religous scholar but I am pretty sure that it is a sin just by the way it grates against my sense of right and wrong.

[/align]
Old 12-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dog hunters, please feed your dogs

??? WHAT!
Old 12-10-2005, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

I apologize if I was not clear. Let me rewrite it.

If you are a dog hunter that is currently giving your animal just enough food to get by, please give them some food. I would not wish true hunger on anybody or anything. I saw a deer dog today that looked terrible. Really sad.

[/align]
Old 12-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

i come from a long line of dog hunters, that is how i learned to hunt. i only switched to still hunting approximately 6 years ago. from my personal experience, our dogs always looked like skin and bones because of the amount of exercise they would get during hunting season. we would triple their food amount during hunting season but they still would not retain their weight. after hunting season they would plump up like butterballs. with all the exercise from hunting season their metabolsm was so high it did not matter how much you fed them.

also, the dog could have been lost in the woods with the owner attempting to find him. it was not uncommon for us to lose a dog for a week, not for the lack of trying to find them. we would look day in and day out sometimes even all night.

there are some people who do not feed like they should, this case could have been one of those but do not think all hunting dogs are malnutritioned. just my 2 cents.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:47 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Digi

I apologize if I was not clear. Let me rewrite it.

If you are a dog hunter that is currently giving your animal just enough food to get by, please give them some food. I would not wish true hunger on anybody or anything. I saw a deer dog today that looked terrible. Really sad.

[/align]

Maybe he has beenlost for weeks! Didit have a collar on? If it did, the owners name and phone #would have been on it. Did you try to help it?
Old 12-11-2005, 12:26 AM
Fork Horn

This dog had an orange radio collar and belongs to a person that is well known in the area for mistreating his animals.

As I wrote in the original post this is not intended for all dog hunters.

Although I do not dog hunt, I have been around plenty of deer dogs.
I know what a healthy deer dog looks like. 99% of the dog hunters around here care for their animals.

Just seeing this one dog today really made me sick to my stomach.

[/align]
Old 12-11-2005, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

digi, since you feel this strong about this and you are sure about this type of abuse, catch the dog and call your local law enforcement agency. if the dog as an identifying collar that links it exclusively to the hunter you're reffing too, local law enforcement can step in and persue with criminal charges...animal cruelty is a serious crime.

in some place like where i live, judges are harder on animal abusers than drug dealers, child abusers, wife beaters, etc. if your local law enforcement agency takes it serious, which i hope they would, they will investigate by going to the owners residence and check out the conditions of his other dogs and the environment where he keeps them.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:05 AM
Typical Buck

Our dogs are family, plain and simple. In the garage and sometimes house for a few hours at night, but eventually they end up in the heated shop and insulated dog house during the night. Our dogs get treated like royalty.....and they hunt like crazy which means all the more better. Good to see some body who cares about their hunitin' companion's!!!
Old 12-11-2005, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

Digi has a point.I went hunting Fri. and while driving home a hound came to the road. My partner stopped and put him in the truck and called its owner. The dog looked exhausted and mal-nurished. Anyway, the owner thanked us and told us the dog had been in the woods since Sat. He also said he was glad to get him back so he could take him hunting tomorrow. That made me sick to my stomach.

While I enjoy hearing the dogs in the woods, I have a strong dislike for deer hunting with dogs. As time goes by, I realize that, with the exception of a few, its the dog HUNTERS that i dislike. If this steps on toes, I don't care.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well a lot of people do abuse their dogs, I have never seen anyone abuse a dog that they put a radio collar on though, if this particular case is a problem turn the guy in!!!

Quick Reply: Dog hunters, please feed your dogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.