Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

favorite venison jerky recipe

Old 10-16-2002, 07:40 PM

Default favorite venison jerky recipe

Does anyone have a good recipe for venison jerky? How thick do you cut the strips? What's is the best deer meat for jerky?

Old 10-16-2002, 08:26 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-16-2002, 08:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: favorite venison jerky recipe

I prefer the Lhur-Jensen 'Little Chief Smoker' and the Hickory Chips. I also use the brines they have in their recipe book.

Bad thing though my son ran over my smoker a few years ago. Now I have a Char-Broil Smoker but haven't made any jerkey with it yet [not as much room as the Little Chief though.

Bowhunter
Old 10-17-2002, 12:43 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-17-2002, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Easiest recipe out there is:

Mix equal parts soy sauce and water (If you like it saltier, add more soy sauce). Add too that a tablespoon of garlic powder and a table spoon of black pepper. This will be for about 12-16 ounces of marinade. Soak the strips overnight and put in dehydrator or oven. I add hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke sometimes but it's excellent as just the simple soy/water/spices mix.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 10-17-2002, 06:23 AM

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup worcester sauce
2 tblspn ketchup
2 tblspn brown sugar
1 capful liquid smoke
1 clove garlic, minced

salt, pepper, onion powder (I add Emeril's essence)
all to taste

Let marinate overnight at least, stir it once or twice during that time if you can.

Covers about 4lbs of meat. We eat it as fast as it comes off the dehydrator, anywhere from 2 to 6 hours depending on thickness.
Old 10-17-2002, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

My dads last batch was real similar to Doe Doe's except he added some mollasses as a new trick. Didn't sprinkle anything on when it was in the dehyrdrater, but the stuff almost melted in my mouth!!

My Web Page
www.geocities.com/hfpmad

Old 10-17-2002, 08:49 AM
Fork Horn

Mine is a bit different but the cut is about 1/4" thick.
1 medium jar of mild bannana pepper juice (just the juice)
1/4 to 1/2 jar of bread and butter pickle juice (just juice)
1 ts cheyenne pepper
1 tbs black pepper
1 tbs cajun seasoning
1 cup of soy sauce
1 ts garlic powder
1/2 ts liquid smoke
2 8oz. glass's of water
1/3 cup of worcester sauce
1/4 cup of coke (tenderizer)

I really enjoy the flavor and let it soak for a day or more depending on how much flavor you are looking for. I dry it for about 4 hours then flip the meat on the dehydrator to even the drying. Normally takes about 8 hours. You can adjust accordingly to your pepper prefrence.

Old 10-17-2002, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

The jerky seasoning that bgidd2280 is referring to is made by High Mountain...he's right - it is GREAT!

I grind my meat up and use a jerky gun - lots easier than trying to cut it into strips, they come out nice and uniform. also add 1/2 cup water for every pound when using ground meat (less if you are using a liquid seasoning) - it helps cut back on shrinkage

[*]NRA Annual Member www.nra.org[*]TNUSA Annual Member www.tnugent.com[*]NAHC[*]GOA[*]IDPA
Old 10-17-2002, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

www.himtnjerky.com I use the regular blend jerky cure and seasoning. I also grind my meat and use a jerky gun and dehydrator. It looks and tastes as well or better than any I have store bought.

Quick Reply: favorite venison jerky recipe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.