Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer feeder

Old 12-04-2005, 09:16 PM

Default Deer feeder

I was wanting some peoples opinion on some deer feeders is a self feeder or timed feeder better for deer because i put a homade self feeder out and the turkeys and coons raped it i was wondering if a timed feeder that puts feed out win you want it to would be better on attracting deer!!!!!
Old 12-04-2005, 09:35 PM

Default RE: Deer feeder

Back in the summer I put up a timed feeder on my lease in hopes of bringing in some more deer and holding them closer to the property (we didn't put up any stands around the feeder). Also sowed some oats in the same location. Went through about 40 pounds of corn every two weeks and saw practically no sign around. There were plenty of deer in the area, and my dad and I took two bucks and a doe between us, but I guess the massive acorn crop was enough that the deer could turn their noses up at the corn. Last week we replaced the timer with a demand feeder in hopes that not so much corn will be wasted. Curious to see how that works out. Did think that the lack of interest was ironic, but we're going to keep it out all year and see if it makes a difference next season.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

While a timed feeder costs you more in the beginning, it will save you much in the future! Demand feeders are too easily emptied out by vermin!
Old 12-05-2005, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

I was thinking of switching to demands feeders next year but I'm concerned that they will aid in the transmission of disease among the deer.

If you hang the feeders high enough varmits can't do much with them. But I did have one where some varmit gnawed a hole in the top of a plastic barrell feeder.

The on in the link is head high. Notice the cameratook a shot just when the feeder timer went off...

http://www.racksnspurs.com/images/04101711.jpg

Old 12-07-2005, 12:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

i'm not trying to start any fights or say using corn is wrong, i just don't believe in using it...too much like cheating to me. ofcourse i do not hunt private property either, just public land where it's illegal to bait (florida). i don't see anything wrong with planted food plots, but if i want to be where the deer are feeding, i spend the time in the woods and find an oak tree that's producing acorns. it just seems too easy to walk in and put up a corn feeder, when you know the deer will go out of there way to come and eat. seems to unnatural for me. like i said, i'm not trying to start fights or get bashed in here but what's everyone else's thought?
Old 12-07-2005, 05:03 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

i'm not trying to start any fights or say using corn is wrong, i just don't believe in using it...too much like cheating to me. ofcourse i do not hunt private property either, just public land where it's illegal to bait (florida). i don't see anything wrong with planted food plots, but if i want to be where the deer are feeding, i spend the time in the woods and find an oak tree that's producing acorns. it just seems too easy to walk in and put up a corn feeder, when you know the deer will go out of there way to come and eat. seems to unnatural for me. like i said, i'm not trying to start fights or get bashed in here but what's everyone else's thought?
Good point Camo and I agree.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:39 AM

timmers are the best.tube feeders will only last one night where I hunt. critters and hogs will empty it in an hr.
we have 10 feeders in my hunt areas that run year round.I have the feed store deliver a ton of corn at the time to my shed.
they help the deer and other game animals.corn doesn't have much protene , but helps the does with fawn's.

this year the feeders are no good yet, to much acorn crop.you can not find an acorn tree thats dropping and set up on it. they are all dropping acorns.untill the acorns are gone , the feeders are not a problem.

it all depends on your opionion, if you don't want to hunt feeders and help the game , then I would say hunt the way you like.thats what it's all about.each to his or her own.
I have no problem with someone that doesn't like , or thinks it's wrong.thats there opinion.

some people will disagree with me , but there wrong.LOL [8D][8D][8D]