Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

telephone poles

Old 11-28-2005, 05:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default telephone poles

Anyone know if you can (legally) climb or hang a stand ona telephone poll?
Old 11-28-2005, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: telephone poles

Anyone know if you can (legally) climb or hang a stand on a telephone poll?
I don't know about your state but it is.

Ilegal in NC to put a deer stand in a telephone/power pole.

Its even ilegal to put posters on one with staples.

Old 11-28-2005, 06:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Since you'd be trespassing on the power company's right of way the answer is no , it's also dangerous .
Old 11-28-2005, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

As I understand the definition of right-of-way, it is not the utility companies land. A right of way is justa right to place utilities in a particular tract of land. For instance, I live in the country and my property extends to the center of the road that passes by my property. There is 33 ft right of way on either side for the utilities (includes power, phone, gas, etc). The land is still mine, but the utility companies have access to that land to place utilites.

Albeit there are instances where the utility company do own the land, but I imagine as long as its not a transfer station or something like that, the land is probably not the utility companies.

But the pole is the utility companies property and I imagine you cannot hang a stand from it, and as Kevin mentioned, not to mention how dangerous itis.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:55 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: MN_Deerman

But the pole is the utility companies property and I imagine you cannot hang a stand from it, and as Kevin mentioned, not to mention how dangerous itis.

DITTO!
Old 11-28-2005, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

funny topic NY, on the farm I hunt there is a brushy bottom that has a powerline cut that supplies power to the next farm. There are zero trees to hunt with a climber down there, and I have several times stood there looking up at these 40' tall beasts and thought, I wonder if I could climb one of them in my climber. Never done it, but thought about it!
Old 11-28-2005, 11:34 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: mossy33oak

I have several times stood there looking up at these 40' tall beasts and thought, I wonder if I could climb one of them in my climber. Never done it, but thought about it!

That's one way to get Electrified.....pass it on down!
Old 11-28-2005, 12:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the replies-

How dangerous do you suppose it is anyway? You probably have a better chance of your tree falling than you do having the wires fall on you.

I think it's a good late season strategy.

Old 11-28-2005, 01:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Well NY, it's illeagal in FL.If I wanted to climb a steel electrical pole, I have the Tree Climber that can do it, can yours?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Dominant Buck

I have to think that the greater danger would be the slick surface of the pole causing you to slide and maybe hang yourself, there's also the notion of accidentally climbing just a wee bit too high up the pole on some dark morning to consider . The risks really aren't worth it .

Quick Reply: telephone poles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.