Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 neighbors dog and my deer: story >

neighbors dog and my deer: story

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

neighbors dog and my deer: story

Old 11-27-2005, 07:02 PM

Default neighbors dog and my deer: story

heres the play by play:...

saturday around 4 i get home with my deer, nothing special. get some rope around its neck and string up a tree about a foot off the ground (outside). and it was supposed to be (and was) fairly cold that night so i knew it would be fine. and being in a well behaved neighborhood i expected no problems. i should point out that where i live it is populated pretty averagely with pets not uncommon. so i go inside and get a good nights rest. i hear the neighbors dog barking around 10 but think nothing of it. the next morning i awake and go outside to bring my deer in for butchering. i get it in and hang it in the garage. "but wait" i say to myself, "whats this here" because as i hung it i noticed that the inside of the right back leg was "missing". something had eaten it down to the bone. So...soon enough i realized what had happend. the neighbors dog got at my deer and had himself a free dinner.

so what do i do...i've finished butchering the deer and its packed away but im still upset about my deer. call me ignorant but i should not have to worry about domesticated dogs eating MY deer in MY yard. and this dog is the worst..its not the first time its wandered off. i find poop in my yard and patio and the thing is constantly getting lose. I just dont know what to do!!![:@][:@]

sorry for the long post
Old 11-27-2005, 07:11 PM

Default RE: neighbors dog and my deer: story

I would shoot it...
Old 11-27-2005, 07:13 PM

Killed a nice 8pt late Friday so I let it hang over night, but I know that the neighbors occasionallylet their dogs loose after dark, so I made sure that I had it 3' off the ground and I put 2 ropes on it for insurance. If you know that there are K9's loose in your neighborhood use more caution. Chad
Old 11-27-2005, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

It might take a few more deer - but you'll learn.

A foot off the ground? Heck there's not just cats and dogs roaming just about everywhere these days, but all kinds of other opportunists. Like skunks, coons, coyotes.......... String 'em up good and high.

Just cutoff the chewed part. And now that the dog's got a taste for blood - deer blood, he's gonna be keeping an eye on your place you can bet.

Old 11-27-2005, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

whitetailblaster sez:
I would shoot it...
Now that would certainly be helpful to establish a good public opinion of hunters. Glad to see such a high caliber of "fawn". Welcome
Old 11-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

It might take a few more deer - but you'll learn.

A foot off the ground? Heck there's not just cats and dogs roaming just about everywhere these days, but all kinds of other opportunists. Like skunks, coons, coyotes.......... String 'em up good and high.

Just cutoff the chewed part. And now that the dog's got a taste for blood - deer blood, he's gonna be keeping an eye on your place you can bet.

You got that right!!

Old 11-27-2005, 08:02 PM

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

but all kinds of other opportunists. Like skunks, coons, coyotes..........
sorry, a little clarification. i live in a residential area so to speak. no skunks, coons, coyotes, foxes or any of the sort. we have squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, cats and dogs.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Now that would certainly be helpful to establish a good public opinion of hunters. Glad to see such a high caliber of "fawn". Welcome
I agree Matt! I once lost a very good lease because of some idiot shooting a farmers dog!
Old 11-27-2005, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I am a dog person. What you may not realize is that thedog thinks you hung that deer there for him. All of the dogs I have had absolutely love venison. Especially raw venison.

You may have to come up with a name for the hound.

C. Davis
Old 11-27-2005, 08:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I cureda neighbors dog that would come into the yard and bark at all hours of the night by tossing it full bar of exlax.It didn't do any long term harm but it kept it quiet for awhile.I thoroughly enjoyed hearing the neighbours telling my aunt how their dog must have found something bad to eat because ithad messed all over their house.After that they did make more of an effort to keep in in their own yard.

Quick Reply: neighbors dog and my deer: story

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.