Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best long range deer caliber

Old 11-22-2005, 04:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Best long range deer caliber

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

Ya the .270 looks good on paper, but my expierence with them is they werent very impressive on grouping at a 100 yds, much less 300.
never seen a .270 that was a shooter.
my bud just bought and got rid of a rem LSS in .270, for the same reasonI just mentioned. Dont know why. I here a lot of good things about them, but havent seen it.
Interesting. I've never seen a .270 that was not a shooter. I have owned 4 and shot quite a few more. My g/f's current 700 BDL will stay inside 1 moa with four different loads we have tried.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

If you guys look at actual balistic charts you will see the .270 is junk COMPARED to other calibers. I personally use a .270 and I know it's a good gun. 30-06 is NOT good to 200 yards. Lots of drop and not much energy retention that far out.

.243 is flat and fast yes, but others havemuch better knockdown power.

.300 WSM (winchester short mag) would be my choice although I believe the 7mm WSM is flatter and faster, just a smaller caliber bullet.

Check out the WSM calibers. The performance is unbelievable.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cmscat50

If you guys look at actual balistic charts you will see the .270 is junk COMPARED to other calibers. I personally use a .270 and I know it's a good gun. 30-06 is NOT good to 200 yards. Lots of drop and not much energy retention that far out.

.300 WSM (winchester short mag) would be my choice although I believe the 7mm WSM is flatter and faster, just a smaller caliber bullet.

Please reread your firstfour lines, think about what you said then please decide to stay in school it will help you in the future.Maybe pick up a Jack O'connor book or two for evening reading.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Weatherby 257 Magnum ...its faster thena phone call !

DD
Old 11-22-2005, 04:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

The 270 shoots plenty flat and hits plenty hard to take deer out to and beyond the range that anyone should be shooting at game animals. People have been taking deer for many years and long before the 300 WSM was even an idea. Others are right. Learn something then speak.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm stuck in a shot gun state - but - was weened on the 30-06 and never knew it was NOT good to 200yrds or By Golly By Gosh - I would of taken those Muleys with a shotgun I've used the 270. Never relalized it was junk compared to other calibers until now[&o].

These 2 calibers have taken billions of deer well out to 300yrds which is one helluva shot for most hunters.

I hope you didin't post this in the Gun forum or you'd get eatin up alive.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 270 in a Remington 700 ADL and it's very accurate. I've cut bullet holes at 100 yards lots of times. I think most Remington 700's in any caliber will do the same. I've lost count of the deer I've taken with this rifle. As for the 300's, I don't know why you would need something that powerful to kill a deer with.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:35 PM

... 30-06 is NOT good to 200 yards. Lots of drop and not much energy retention that far out.

I suggest you check some ballistics charts. I am not saying the 300 win mag (or WSM) and 7mm mag don't have any advantages over a .270 or 30-06. The fact is though, that at 200 yards, there is absolutely no difference in effective trajectory or killing power. Drop for all, across almost all factory loads is virtually identical (at virtually 0, if sighted in properly 1-2" high at 100) and difference in power delivered is insignificant in terms of killing any N.A. game animal.

We could have this discussion at 300 yards, but you said 200.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

THERES NO SUCH THING AS KNOCKDOWN POWER !
30-06 and .270 have killed more deer than you have seen in magazines, tv, and ever dreamed about, at over 300 yds.

Make sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:05 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

THERES NO SUCH THING AS KNOCKDOWN POWER !
30-06 and .270 have killed more deer than you have seen in magazines, tv, and ever dreamed about, at over 300 yds.

Make sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.

Quick Reply: Best long range deer caliber

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.