HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Question about the glands on the deers back legs. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/121552-question-about-glands-deers-back-legs.html)

takeakidhuntin 11-17-2005 07:09 PM

Question about the glands on the deers back legs.

Have you cut them out and used them as a deer lure?
Does it matter if it's a buck or doe?
If you have tried it,please explain to me how you did it and the success you had. Thanks

jimmy the foot 11-17-2005 07:27 PM

RE: Question about the glands on the deers back legs.

I'M GOING TO TRY IT THIS YEAR. never done it but you have to cut out the tarsal gland ( gland halfway up the back leg) and drain the bladder also. freeze both until use. i've read u just drop the gland into the urine and it causes a reaction which gives off a smell. there was someone talking about this earlier and they preserved the gland in a special liquid, i can't remember. as long as you freeze it or put it on ice before u get home to the freezer u should preserve the tissue before necrosis take affect. good luck and let me know how it works out.

THE FOOT

Bassman4940 11-17-2005 08:38 PM

I cut the tarsals off of my deer every year, it doesn't make any difference if it's a buck or a doe IMO.
After you get them removed, lay them skin-down in powdered Borax for a couple of days, and that will dry the skin out and keep it from rotting. Then I wrap them up in a couple of ziplock bags and freeze them for the following year.
When I'm ready to use them I punch a small hole through the hide and tie them onto my bootlaces, just before I'm ready to head into the woods and them put them back in the freezer after every hunt. They will keep their odor for quite awhile that way. I've also heard of using saftey pins and pin them onto your pant legs so they rub on any brush as you're going to your stand.

knemohunter 11-17-2005 08:56 PM

Do you wear some type of gloves when doing this to prevent the scent of your hands from getting on the glands?

Bassman4940 11-17-2005 10:12 PM

Do you wear some type of gloves when doing this to prevent the scent of your hands from getting on the glands?

I'm very cautious about touching the actual glad itself by cutting at leas a half inch of skin all the way around it so you can handle it without touching the gland itself.
When I'm done I'll have about a 2" square with the tarsal gland in the center of it. As long as you stay away from the dark brown oily spot, you'll be ok.

Dampland 11-18-2005 08:54 AM

If I harvest a buck during the Rut, I will cut around the tarsal glands (wearing rubber gloves) and then I ziplock the tarsal glands and freeze them until next year.

Then I hang them in the tree near a scrape the next fall.