Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Climbing Tree Stand

Old 10-24-2005, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default Climbing Tree Stand

I'm getting ready to use my new climbing tree stand for the first time. I've never used one of these before. Does anyone have any tips on using them. Anything to do or not to do?

thanks, ths78
Old 10-24-2005, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Climbing Tree Stand

One thing.
Make sure the bottom has a rope od something tied from the
Bottom half to the top half.

If it isn't attached with some thing when
You get to the top the bottom can and will fall
Leaving you stranded in the tree with no way down.

Always wear a saftey harness going up and down and while in the tree.

Be safe and have fun.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:21 PM

10-4 on that. Also make sure you place the stand at the bottom of the treeat a upward angle.It willlevel itself out when you climb. Always carry apocket sawduct tape to the stand.Allows you to cut small limbs that are in the way. Always attach your climbing harness to the tree before climbing. It is better to keep the seat a little high when bow hunting it is easier to stand and shoot .
Old 10-25-2005, 03:43 AM
Typical Buck

DITTO Wear A Harness while climbing!!!
Old 10-25-2005, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take your time climbing--you will get better at it with practice.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

wear your harness at all times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it may be a pain to wear while actually climbing but accidents can happen at any time!!!
Old 10-25-2005, 11:22 AM

The good ones are acctually pretty easy to use, and are safe and comfortable once you get used to using them.

worth repeating: safety harness at all times. Don't skimp on this- if the one that came with the stand isn't easy to use PROPERLY, buy another one and don't be a cheap skate - buy the $40 one rather than the $15 one! Practice putting it on. I put mine on first thing when I'm getting ready inside - not out in the dark. I wear it inside my final coat and the strap comes out of the neck of my jacket.

Practice using your climber a few times before you actually go hunting. First time it's kind of wierd, second time it's much easier and less scary. Third time, it's pretty easy and comfortable to use.

As the guy said, adjust the stand so it angles up quite a bit when you first start it at the bottom of the treee. As you go up and the tree tapers down, the stand will level out.

Follow all the other advice these guys have given you also. Have fun.

What kind of climber did you get?
Old 10-25-2005, 11:35 AM

practice, practice, practice....

For the first two or three setups have someone there with you, and try it in your backyard or somewhere nearby. First try, put it near ground level to get used to the setup and takedown. Then try it at 5-6ft with someone nearby. Always check the bark of the tree first, and oh yes if you use a pack of any kind up in the tree with you, don't put your cell/cb/whistle in the pack or chances are you'll be on the ground with your phone in the tree =)

there's good resources on the web:
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/hunting/deer/tree.htm

...and with some research you might be able to find the safety video being shown at the IHEA safety classes.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Practice is the key here. When you first try it out and decide to climb a tree, just go up about 5-6 feet. Stop, come down and do it over again. It should take no time to begin to get comfortable with it.

Remember; practice doesn't make pefect...perfect practice makes perfect......Good Luck.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:55 PM
Dominant Buck

It all depends on what kind it is. I would find a pine tree to practice on. I went to a park real early before people came and practiced with my Summit. I had another one that was very easy and self explanatory.
Just a reminder

! KEEP the harness on.

2. Keep the two sections tied to gether with a rope about 2 feet apart. My foot section fell once and I was happy to have it in reach.

3. DON'T climb with a loaded gun.

God bless,
Chuck7