Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What does it mean when a doe grunts-stomps at you? >

What does it mean when a doe grunts-stomps at you?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What does it mean when a doe grunts-stomps at you?

Old 10-03-2002, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default What does it mean when a doe grunts-stomps at you?

My first year hunting (year 2000)- in New Hampton(Hampton Hills) Southern MN , I was hunting from the ground next to a big stump. It was early in the morning right at day break. I had to pee so bad I thought I was going to die. At the same time I was freezing to death. It was about 10-20 degrees out. I started to pee in a big gatorade bottle and along came a big doe heading right for me along the deer path I was along. Me, seeing my first deer ever when hunting almost had a heart attack. With my pants down I moved over to my shotgun(Slug Zone) and started to aim. The Doe looked up dieectly at me close to 50 yds with nothing to hide behind. It just stood there and stared at me for 20 mins and at the same time it was grunting and stomping at me. I thought for sure it saw me, but I was so still after about 20 mins it started to feed again and put its head down. I was right in front her. Anyways, I had some thick brush in my way and thought I would take a chance at her. I missed her but I had some obstacles. Oh well. My question is: What was the doe doing? did she see me? or was she just suspicious that something was not right?

Ron Starr
Old 10-03-2002, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What does it mean when a doe grunts-stomps at you?

She knew something was wrong but she wasn't sure what. You did a good job standing still. When they grunt or stomp at you, they are trying to get you to move. I've had them do this before and it will drive you crazy.
Old 10-03-2002, 11:23 AM
Typical Buck

If they don't smell you but see you thats the way they will act. She did not know exactly what you were. If she had got your scent you can bet the farm that she would have turned tail and ran.

Old 10-03-2002, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

The jig is up . . . she knew something wasn't right but couldn't be sure what it was. The stomping and snorting serves two purposes; The first is to induce some movement but the second is just as important, she has secreted an alert musk from the gland between her hoves warning other animals in the area . . . especially the buck that hadn't come out of the brush yet.

Bowhunter
Old 10-03-2002, 11:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Both replies are dead on. If they don't smell you and you do not move, they get nervous and stomp and the like. It is nerve racking to be still no matter how long it is, but they will usually if you are still continue what they were doing. That being said I did have a staring match with an old doe on year, that after over 15 minutes with a number of doe staying behind her she decided all was not well, calmly turned around and went back the way they had come.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 10-03-2002, 11:53 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-03-2002, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

For sure you have been picked up somehow or another... Seen, Heard, possibly smelled, but more then likely seen... Not moving and not making eye contact is something I have tried and seems to work pretty good... That sucks though being caught with you pants down with the first deer ever... Although at least you will remember it... Good Luck out there....
Old 10-03-2002, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys. I always wondered what was going on with her. It did drive me crazy! My adrenalene was flying and it was hard to sit still.

Ron Starr
Old 10-03-2002, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Starrman...WOW, 15 min is a very long time. Even tho she caught you with your pants down, you must have done something right or she would have been gone in a flash. All the above posts were right on, because it has happened to me on only a few occasions, but I have never had a deer do that for more than a minute or so, before either deciding everything was OK or not OK. Maybe she was interested in some gatorade?

Old 10-03-2002, 05:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

She loves you

Quick Reply: What does it mean when a doe grunts-stomps at you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.