Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What does it mean when a doe grunts-stomps at you? >

What does it mean when a doe grunts-stomps at you?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What does it mean when a doe grunts-stomps at you?

Old 10-03-2002, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What does it mean when a doe grunts-stomps at you?

I've noticed that when they snort louder there are usually fawns that are finding hiding places. Of course Cardeer could be right and she was one lonely momma.

Dan O.

Edited by - dan o. on 10/03/2002 19:26:38
Old 10-03-2002, 07:00 PM

i have also had several similar situations. however this last weekend i was bow hunting. about 2:30 i took my climber and headed in the woods, about half way up the tree i heard stomping and snorting from a deer in the brush. after a minute of that i heard it run about 50 yds away from me then it started making some loud whining noise. it was really loud and repeated several times then it left for good. didn't see any deer the rest of the day which is really unusual.

anyone had them make that whining scream?

Jason Root
Old 10-03-2002, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

one weekend i was sitting in the woods relaxing early one morning and a doe and 2 fawns came within feet of me feeding...i was in full camo so i didnt get seen...she knew something was wrong and did that same thing and i didnt move and she feed right up the hill...i got busted when the fawns were playing and chasing eachother around and i tried to touch one! i was really close!...the next day i was doing the same thinng in the same area...a nice buck comes by...looking at me but he hadnt seen me yet...he stomped the ground and snorted...i was like ok maybe he wants to fight so i snorted and punched the ground like him trying to get him to think i wanted to fight but it scared him off so i think they are trying to see what you are...if you wait long enough they might not bust you....i thought it was kinda funny i was willing to fight a buck! lol glad thats not what he wanted i would got hurt!

Old 10-03-2002, 08:29 PM

You got some great answers! next time just relieve your self as you would normally, forget the gatorate and keep the gun near you or in your other hand.

Our urine sent will not effect the deer.

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 10-03-2002, 10:46 PM
Typical Buck

NEVER . . . NEVER . . . fail to give Murphy's Law its due.

Bowhunter
Old 10-04-2002, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with those that have said the doe suspected something was not right was trying to get you to move so she could verify what was there. Squirrels and birds drive deer crazy when they are on super-high alert. I do have a funny story related to this: A few years ago I was hunting on the edge of a steep drop-off and a doe came from below and started climbing the hill toward me. When she was about 30 yards away she saw me (I was on the ground in full camo)and got suspicious. She stomped her feet and stared at me for a long time, and I stayed frozen. She finally started browsing again and continued toward me, stopping to stomp and stare at me every so often. That doe walked up to within 5 feet of me and stared me right in my eyeballs. She was so close that I was afraid she might step on me or kick me if she got closer before she spooked, so I finally said "BOO!" Well, her eyes got so big they almost fell out of her skull and she jumped backwards about 8 feet...but she STILL didnt run! She stared and stomped at me some more...until I finally just stood up. That did it. I think she may still be running!
Still laugh when I think about it. Why cant a big 12 point buck do that?
SC
Old 10-04-2002, 02:55 PM
Dominant Buck

She was pissed. she new something was up so she was letting it be known. She either smelled you or saw you.
Old 10-04-2002, 04:43 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-04-2002, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes when a doe has you pegged, but cannot determine if you are truly a threat, she will pretend to feed, then snap her head up to try to detect motion. Other times they will stomp, snort and come to you, usually at an angle to try to get a "different veiw". Bucks will ocaisionally do the same thing, though not as often. Does are more concerned with their young, even if they've already been weaned. Bucks, only worry about themselves.

Most times, they convince themselves that its better safe than sorry, regardless of whether the detect scent or movement - and will retreat. Occaisionally, they will give the "alls safe" signal (a sideways flip of the tail) and resume their activity. Even then they will check back a few times while passing.