Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you work for your deer?

Old 10-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do you work for your deer?

Are you the kind of hunter that puts a lot of time and effort both during the deer season as well asthe need for scouting, because you have to? Or do you benefit from hunting areas with large deer numbers where heavy duty scouting is really not required, because you hunt from the same stand/piece of woods every year?

Does the deer population have any influence on the "work" required to be a successful hunter?

Usually, I put in many hours of scouting even tho I hunt the same general areas every year. These areas are about 5-6 square miles with mostly ridges, swamps and nasty alders. Also, the deer numbers are low (10-12 deer per square mile) so it helps to know where the deer will/should be while I'm in the woods.

Old 10-26-2005, 10:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Do you work for your deer?

I scout about 30 days before General Season and 3 days before opening day, in the morning and at dusk. I like to see were they are crossing the logging roads. I also check for rubs and funnels with the binoc's. I like for it to rain lightly during the night, good for easy tracking in the morning!
Old 10-26-2005, 10:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I use to scout all year ,even whentaking notice of deer sign when doing other things. Even deer crossings on the roads around where I hunt. But I cant do it anymore
Old 10-26-2005, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes!...i work year round but it pays off big time in the fall with meat in the freezer.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:48 AM

Well I'm out on the hunting land about every weekend except 4 or 6 when hunting season is over. These are the times I take the wife fishing n camping. I'm in charge of keeping up the food plots, grass mowed, powerand other assorted camp things for a club. I think it pays off to scout alot and actually being out there. You get a better grasp of how many and different sizes of deer you have on your land. It also helps with other game as well...turkey, rabbits and the sort. Some years I don't get the big buck contest we hold each yr...but ya know, I know there are alot of big bucks compared to the other club members. shhh mums the word...hehe
Old 10-26-2005, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

i will do most of my scouting when out in the woods hunting for tree rats and turkey this makes it a lot easier in both time and money for gas.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:03 PM
Dominant Buck

I put a lot of time into research during the off season , and some into scouting , but I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't take blind luck when it shows up . If a deer is stupid enough to present me a shot I'll take it if the deer is what I want regardless of how that shot falls into my lap .
Old 10-27-2005, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, I'd take luck anyday but we do work pretty hard at it. We have hunted the same property for 10 years now, but when we bought it it was all mature maple and then we had it logged off so now the clearcut is up about 7-10 feet and that makes it a whole new piece of property. I really enjoy the offseason work though between scouting, planting, trail cams, all really fun stuff. I also do a lot of reading thoughout the year.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know how much I work at it. I don't get much summer scouting done. I pay attention while turkey hunting in the spring, I do hunt mostly the same areas, but tweak trees, depending on yearly use. I'd rather scout the hot areas during the season, knowing where a deer is in july, does me no good as to where he's going to be in november. Parcels of land are too small, and I can only deal with the ones I can access.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

I am lucky hear in Southern Michigan to see deer every time you go into the woods. We have a general rule on our lands that if the buck is not big enough to make you mount it, then you let it walk and take a doe. The population of the deerallowsus tobe succesful with less scouting. However, I love to be in the woods year round. I tend to find myself looking for deer sign whenever I am out there and making a mental note about it.

Quick Reply: Do you work for your deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.