Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How to descent your stuff w/o spending a fortune? >

How to descent your stuff w/o spending a fortune?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to descent your stuff w/o spending a fortune?

Old 10-08-2002, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How to descent your stuff w/o spending a fortune?

Anyone know any tricks for descenting clothing, gear and onesself without spending a bunch of money. I thought about washing my clothes with nothing but baking soda, but I'm not sure how well it would work.

Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
Muzzleloading- Once you go black, you'll never go back!!
Old 10-08-2002, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How to descent your stuff w/o spending a fortune?

I've never been big on spending money on scent elimination...or the new charcoal-lined camo...I prefer to hunt the wind. But one pretty good tip I got from an oldtimer seems to work as a cover scent...find yourself a grove of cedars and just bust through them on the way to your stand...you'll smell like a cedar tree the rest of the day. Still have to hunt the wind though...deer can smell your breath.
Good luck!
Old 10-08-2002, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

i dont spend a dime and have had deer feet from me only to catch my 180 gr bullet...all i do is wash my clothes which hang in the garage all year with nothing but water...just to get the dust adn last years dirt off ect....depending on the weather i let htem line dry out side or in the dryer with no sheets or anything smelly...day im hunting no deoderant and i dont brush my teeth till im done hunting...some people say set my boots on the porch but i dont...sitting in the truck for atleast 30 mins is going to get whatever human scent back on them anyways...i try to hunt the wind but if i find a spot i cant(after i hunt my first spot in the morning we like to move and find new spots and drive and stuff...it seems to me even hunting heavy brushed clear cuts with 25 yd visabilaty before they smell me its too late...ive had a nice 8pt behind me squirell hunting once...i just hiked up half a steep mountain..i was sweating and reaking of human...had tree rat blood on my hands and had tree rats in my game pouch and the wind was in my face i believe...the buck went right behing my tree and looked around the tree at me after he passed me...blaze orange on too! he looked at me withing feet..i could have beat him with my shotgun if i wanted thats no exzageration...and he did the snort and stomp the foot to see if i move..i didnt so he just walked away...this area is also hunted pretty good in rifle season too! i dont believe you need much to fool their noses unless they are that smart...none have that ive came close to in the past few years of hunting
Old 10-08-2002, 06:59 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-08-2002, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Also, turn your clothes inside out if you put them in the dryer. This keeps the colors brighter. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

At first I thought this was poking fun at me, but I suppose you're talking about camo patterns. Not an issue since I don't really wear camo anyway, and in Iowa one must wear blaze orange during all the gun seasons (I hunt Early muzzleloader). I use natural cover to hide myself, and if one stays still I don't think deer can make you out.

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
Muzzleloading- Once you go black, you'll never go back!!
Old 10-08-2002, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

A bottle of scent eliminator from Walmart is no big expense and washing cloths with baking soda has worked with me for years.

Hunting is not a sport,it's a lifestyle.
Old 10-08-2002, 09:49 PM

You got some great suggestions, use them. The only thing I would add is place your clothing in a cedar box with pine straw ect. If you can't find a cedar box buy some chips and place them in a bag with the clothing.

And yes, keep your face into the wind! no matter how sent proof you may think you are the deer will pick you up under the right sercumstances.

Happy hunting!

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 10-08-2002, 10:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I bow hunt, ML and rifle hunt, my clothes changes with the regs and season but ritual does not. I wash my clothes in Arm and Hammer Luandry detergent (no scent), I then air dry them...it don't matter if you use blaze if you dryer them they will be UV bright and deer can see UV. If you must dry inside out only. I shower using Ivory soap and unscented shampoo. I use unscented Arm and Hammer Deod stick on my arms and knee pits. LAso place clothes in a rubbermaid container with area materials to absorb scent as a cover.

I hunt the wind and don't believe in the Scent Loc BS.

All this stuff you need anyway and costs minimal. I have found it works as well as people going out and buying all the sport wash, uv killers, scent crap. I have also used or made my own neutralizer but really don't think it is neccasary. I had 4 Bucks & 3 does come less that 10 feet from me on Saturday...so I would it works aok.

Old 10-10-2002, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in VA, we have a lot of oaks, hence acorns. I pick about a pound, 1 ziplock bag full, boil them in water, sieve the 'acorn water' out, discard the acorns, and wash my clothes in the leftover acorn water. Works REALLY well, if you have oaks near you. Some friends use cedar chips.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:45 AM

Buy your scent elimination products in the spring on closeout. I usually stock up on the laundry detergent for $2-3 a bottle and Body soap at $1-2 a bottle. The no scent sprays go for $2-3 in the spring too. A bottle last me 3-4 seasons if it's just for my self. I use the unscented sure antiperspirant $2-3. That's about $2 per season to help with scent control. Not a real big expense. I do use a sock filled with baking soda with the end tied in a knot with the clothes in the dryer. Then I hang them in one of my spruce trees for a few days. Works pretty good. I also alway try to play the wind as well.

Quick Reply: How to descent your stuff w/o spending a fortune?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.