Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How do I get my Deer Skull to stop stinkin? >

How do I get my Deer Skull to stop stinkin?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do I get my Deer Skull to stop stinkin?

Old 07-06-2005, 08:50 PM
Spike

Default How do I get my Deer Skull to stop stinkin?

Hey guys, I'm in the process of doing my first european mount with the deer I shot last November. I've been drying it outside since last year. I've got all the flesh cleaned off of it, and the bone is a nice white colour. The problem is that the skull still smells like rotten meat. What do you suggest to get rid of the stench?
Old 07-06-2005, 09:06 PM

Default RE: How do I get my Deer Skull to stop stinkin?

i put myne on the biggest ant bed i can find. cover it in a box of some sort, so the dogs cant get at it. let is sit for a few weeks. ants will get everything off of it. Just dont let it sit to long they will get into the bone. Then i boil and bleach it and mount it up
Old 07-07-2005, 02:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Brush some vanilla extract on it
Old 07-07-2005, 05:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cardeer

Brush some vanilla extract on it
That suprises me. I expect a different response from you.

Where's cardeer and what have you done with him?
Old 07-07-2005, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I suggest you quit doing it the way you are. I can do a euro mount from deer to wall in 6 hours.

Skin the head, remove the lower jaw bone, boil in water with dish detergent for about 3 or 4 hrs, take out and pressure wash clean,brain matter and all, reboil in water with one big bottle of peroxide for 30 min. remove and let dry in sun preferably, mount on plaque and place on wall.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:08 AM

If you cleaned all of the outside meat off, but left the brians it will we rotting. [:'(] Try to drill a small hole in the skull and wash out the brains with a water hose.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

After I get all of the meat off of mine, I go and boil them again (remember to put tin foil on the antlers so they dont bleach also) and I add a couple squirts of Dawn dish soap (use the kinds with the degreasing agent in it). This will help to remove all of the fats that are on the skull, (thats what smells) and if the soap is scented then it also helps to remove the stench while boiling w/o making the skull floweery smelling when it comes out. Thats what I do and it seems to work good for me.
Let us know what you did and how it works out.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do several european mounts a year on both deer and hogs for myself and friends. I acknowledge that there are probably numerous processes used to clean a skull, and I have used a couple different processes myself. I am currently using the same technique that my taxidermist friend uses. I , first, skin the head and clean as much meat off as possible, then I boil the head in a stainless steel pot in a sal soda solutionfor about 30-45 minutes. I order my sal soda from Van Dykes taxidermy catalog usually in the 5# bag. Boiling in the sal soda makes most of the meat and tissue justfall off the skull. AFTER cooking the head, I use a long flat head screw driver to remove the brain matter. There will be some meat/tissue left on the skull after the boiling process. For what is left, I use a thin blade "boning" type knife to scrape the skull. After ALL the meat is off the skull, I bleach it in hydrogen peroxide (I use the cheapest hydrogen peroxide I can find at Wal Mart or the "dollar store"). I take alot of time on the bleaching process because I think this makes the whole "look" complete. I try really hard not to get peroxide on the bases of the horns because it will bleach them. I keep my skulls in the freezer until I am ready to boil them and hang them out in the sun after the bleaching process to completely dry the skull.
This process has proved to be the simplest and most odor-free method that I have found. I can do a whole skull in about 4 hours. One tip that I forgot to mention is do not freeze a skull before skinning it. My dad brought me a head from his cousin out of state that was frozen and I almost never got the hide off of it.
Our taxidermists around here charge from $100-250 for a european mount. I figure I have saved myself, friends and family SEVERAL thousand dollars by doing the skulls myself.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:39 PM
Spike

Thanks for the tips guys, I think I'll try boiling it with a little detergent, and see if that helps
Old 07-08-2005, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

I do several european mounts a year on both deer and hogs for myself and friends. I acknowledge that there are probably numerous processes used to clean a skull, and I have used a couple different processes myself. I am currently using the same technique that my taxidermist friend uses. I , first, skin the head and clean as much meat off as possible, then I boil the head in a stainless steel pot in a sal soda solutionfor about 30-45 minutes. I order my sal soda from Van Dykes taxidermy catalog usually in the 5# bag. Boiling in the sal soda makes most of the meat and tissue justfall off the skull. AFTER cooking the head, I use a long flat head screw driver to remove the brain matter. There will be some meat/tissue left on the skull after the boiling process. For what is left, I use a thin blade "boning" type knife to scrape the skull. After ALL the meat is off the skull, I bleach it in hydrogen peroxide (I use the cheapest hydrogen peroxide I can find at Wal Mart or the "dollar store"). I take alot of time on the bleaching process because I think this makes the whole "look" complete. I try really hard not to get peroxide on the bases of the horns because it will bleach them. I keep my skulls in the freezer until I am ready to boil them and hang them out in the sun after the bleaching process to completely dry the skull.
This process has proved to be the simplest and most odor-free method that I have found. I can do a whole skull in about 4 hours. One tip that I forgot to mention is do not freeze a skull before skinning it. My dad brought me a head from his cousin out of state that was frozen and I almost never got the hide off of it.
Our taxidermists around here charge from $100-250 for a european mount. I figure I have saved myself, friends and family SEVERAL thousand dollars by doing the skulls myself.

Ditto, that's exactly how I do it. Thanks! You saved me the typing

Quick Reply: How do I get my Deer Skull to stop stinkin?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.