Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Spring Black Bear Hunting on Kapowsin Tree Farm >

Spring Black Bear Hunting on Kapowsin Tree Farm

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Spring Black Bear Hunting on Kapowsin Tree Farm

Old 03-26-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Spring Black Bear Hunting on Kapowsin Tree Farm

I was just wondering if anyone has hunted on the Kapowsin tree farm? My Dad was selected for the spring bear hunt on this property and we have never been there before. My dad was talking to a friend who has been on this property before and he said that he would be selective with picking a bear. I doubt that we would be selective because we have never shot a bear before. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas for us, thanks.
-Tyson
Old 03-26-2005, 11:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Spring Black Bear Hunting on Kapowsin Tree Farm

I've talked to some guys who use to hunt it in the late 90s, and it was LOADED with bear then. I can't imagine that the population has decreased.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:53 PM

If ones hunting on a tree farm,does that mean the bears "TREE" themselves?
Old 04-05-2005, 09:27 PM

I am not sure about Kapowsin, but I got a spring permit for Capitol Forest. I reccommend finding a thick canyon with about 15 yr old timber and calling with a fawn bleat/distress or even a calf call.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:13 PM

thanks for the help, my dad says he wants to bring the fox pro electronic call. We have tried the call last august in the sultan basin area, but no luck. there was a bear in some thick timber making some serious noise, but never showed itself.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:20 PM

Has anyone else been drawn for any spring bear hunts in washington?
Old 04-15-2005, 12:45 AM
Fork Horn

Tyson, yes I drew Capitol Forest and will be hunting out there tomorrow evening after work, and again on Saturday.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:33 PM

Tyson,

Any luck on the spring bear?
Old 04-26-2005, 12:50 PM

No luck yet. My dad and I talked to 2 other hunters that were glassing this huge clear cut and all they were seeing were elk and deer. That is the same with my dad and me, we were seeing everything that we werent hunting. I even saw 2 morning doves, I have never seen those before. We did find a pile of scat at the begining of a little trail. it was mostly grass so we figure thats what there feeding on at this point. We also found some scraps on young trees. Unfortunately no bear though. I think mid may should pick up the pace, there just isnt much reason for the bears to be coming out of the thick woods yet, and most of the greens are just starting to sprout.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:52 PM

Tyson,
I am not trying to knock your logic about May being better, but they have had greens for over a month now including grasses, flowers and skunk cabbage to name a few. Are you sure it was grass in the scat? It could be tree fiber/cambium.

Here are a couple tips and you can take them as you wish.

Stay away from the clear cuts. There are always exceptions, but right now there is not a lot of feed in them.
You need to be in the thick 15-20 year old timber that the bears are feeding on and use a predator call. Try to find an area with 50-100 yards of visibility and call for at least an hour.

Using the above strategy on Sunday the 24th I killed the largest bear I have ever seen during a season.

Quick Reply: Spring Black Bear Hunting on Kapowsin Tree Farm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.