Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Western Washington..Please help >

Western Washington..Please help

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Western Washington..Please help

Old 07-08-2004, 09:02 PM

Default Western Washington..Please help

HI All, I am new to the board as well as the Western Wa area (Tacoma). I had a couple of questions and I was hoping someone from the Western WA area could help me out.

My questions are primarily concerning squirrel hunting and general WA state regs.

1) Being new to the area I would like to do some squirrel hunting and general plinking But I have no idea where it is leagal or not legal to shoot.
I called the police dept and Wildlife people and I get a general run around but no specific info....
Are there any good areas in the Black Diamond/Auburn/Covington area to plink in the woods?? I have driven up 18 all the way to RT 90 and everything was market private property or no target shooting.

2) Is there a Squirrel season in WA or are they fair game 24X7..How about Crows (Man there are alot of them out here).

All of the shooting I have done in the past has been at "Ranges" so I am kind of paranoid about just parking my truck and going out into the woods (Not affraid of the woods just affraid that I will be shootiing somewhere I should not be..

Any Help or directions to "safe" places to shoot would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Old 07-08-2004, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Western Washington..Please help

24/7 except for certain species....... Read the Reg.s carefully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crows 24/7
ORIGINAL: freeman1

HI All, I am new to the board as well as the Western Wa area (Tacoma). I had a couple of questions and I was hoping someone from the Western WA area could help me out.

My questions are primarily concerning squirrel hunting and general WA state regs.

1) Being new to the area I would like to do some squirrel hunting and general plinking But I have no idea where it is leagal or not legal to shoot.
I called the police dept and Wildlife people and I get a general run around but no specific info....
Are there any good areas in the Black Diamond/Auburn/Covington area to plink in the woods?? I have driven up 18 all the way to RT 90 and everything was market private property or no target shooting.

2) Is there a Squirrel season in WA or are they fair game 24X7..How about Crows (Man there are alot of them out here).

All of the shooting I have done in the past has been at "Ranges" so I am kind of paranoid about just parking my truck and going out into the woods (Not affraid of the woods just affraid that I will be shootiing somewhere I should not be..

Any Help or directions to "safe" places to shoot would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Old 07-08-2004, 09:47 PM

On squirrels I don't really know whether thy're a game animal or not. The big Grays I don't think are native to this area but you won't find a lot of guys who puruse them here either. It's only been the past ten years or so that you see a whole lot of grays. And the other species along with Chipmunks aren't all theat big to be eating anyway?

Crows are 24/7 but the regs. state you do need a license. That's fairly new too...the license part[:'(]

As far as plinkin' I live in the area your talking about and it's hard to find an open area. you may try up out of Wilkerson/Carbanado area or the USFS areas up out of Greenwater, on the way up to Chinook pass. That's typically where I plink.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:05 PM
Fork Horn

I'll help these guys out a bit. The Game Laws do state you need a Small Game License to hunt Crows. Also, the season for crows is Oct. 1st thru Jan. 31st. Not 24/7. BUT, they may be taken at any time in the act of depredation (EX: Attacking your pet). So, there you go. Happy Hunting
Old 07-08-2004, 10:31 PM

Your right...OOpps...guess I shoot them cuz they might be on their way to depredating something and I like to be preemptive[8D]
Old 07-09-2004, 12:22 AM
Typical Buck

Some of you native Washingtonians may want to elaborate a little more, but on pg. 19 of the regs under "Protected Wildlife", it states that it is illegal to hunt, kill, possess, or control protected wildlife. Washington ground, red, Douglas, northern flying, and western gray squirrels are all on the list. Unless you are able to positively distinguish between whatever tree rats are running around these parts, I'd say don't hunt them. Besides, the ones I've come across aren't big enough to make into a decent mess of squirrel dumplings unless they are in a park.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:58 AM

There is a story going around our campground that we hunt out of that goes like this :

There was a guy from the east coast up there hunting squirels and chipmunks one day and he got a bag full of em. Now he didnt really want to eat em, he just wanted to collect their tails. So he got back to camp and strung em all out on a clothes line ( the tails ) all proud like he got a huge buck. Well, along comes a game warden. He comes to his camp and begins to admire the stringer of tails in front of him. The man that got em was sayin yeah, i was on a killin spree there for a while. He talked for about two minutes with the warden while the warden wrote him a ticket for something like $250 per tail. There must have been 20 tails in front of him that day!

Now i dont know about the exact $ amount but the story is true. Cant shoot em in this state........go kill some cougars or something!

If it aint flyin......it aint dyin!
Old 07-23-2004, 09:30 AM

If I understand it right, crows are a migatory bird just like waterfowl and doves, From what I've been told you need a fed migratory stamp and a small game licence. Not sure is you need a state stamp or not. Best thing to do is caontact your local WDFW reginol office or go to their web site for info on all your questions and make sure you right down the name of the person you talked to just in case you are given bad info.