Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WAYNE 1

On it's way Doc...
Old 01-22-2004, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 04-06-2004, 05:05 PM

This is Laura's email regarding her turkey hunting with her Dad. This is for the people that don't know the situation, last year was Laura's (my girlfriend)first year to hunt turkeys & she couldn't understand why I was getting upset at times........................Oh such sweet poetic justice!!!!

I figured out this morning just how serious a turkey hunter I am and that my dad is having fun hanging !!! I don't think that I wiggled anywhere near as much as him last year and have to hand it to you once again for having had patience with me. I think you will find me to be a much mo better partner this year. augh.......

I got us settled in and he wanted to start calling right away. I quickly nixed that and told him to sit still and be quiet for 30 minutes at least and asked, " what would bldhound do here dad?". I did what you told me and did just some verra verra soft calling. I heard a gobbler to my left and I also heard one to my right. Then I see this turkey fly into a tree and as I'm watching it to see where it is going and exactly what it is; dad is saying in a rather loud voice, "turkey, turkey, turkey". I poked him and told him to be quiet. Now I thought it was a hen and dad was telling me it was a Tom. I was going by the sounds she was making. I don't know and could be wrong on this????? I thought that the hens made different sounds than the Toms. Anyway.....she is looking around and I swear was looking right at me. I did a few calls and each time I did I got her full attention. She even answered me. I was sooooo excited . As she flys out of the tree dad moves and says, "damn". I poked him again and told him to shut up. She flew right into the field in front of us and was staring at dad. This time he did hold like a statue. I figured since I had the real thing ( yes it was a hen) I'd let her do the calling for me. Only when she stared to go in the back of the field did I do some soft purrs. My thinking was that she might think there was a verra content hen trying to move in on her territory. Right thing to do????? Anyway she was out there calling like mad. When she flew off dad started his major wiggling and then started talking. I wanted to throttle him. I wanted to see if a bird hadn't some how sneaked up and was going to pop out any minute. When I realized dad wanted a conversation hour I told him that I thought a full blind would be a good idea for him . I so wanted to stay the day out there. He figured that he saw a bird, bird flew off...okay done for the morning !!! He'd had a ball and now "lets go babe".......I packed up everything take off my face mask and such and then he gets out his box call and makes some calls. I wanted to grab him by the throat and throttle him and beat him with his box call. So that was my morning.

Hoping it will go better this afternoon. There is another place I want to check out. I'm also going to have him take his dove chair, maybe that will help him to sit more comfortably thus less wiggles. I had him set up with my seat and his cushy one on top of that. Maybe I should just take a lazyboy out with us, you think?

I'm trying hard to think of this as quality time with my dad and an exercise in learning to be a better turkey hunter. If by ANY chance a blind, dumb and slow turkey passes our way dad may just get one after all.

Now she can understand!
Old 04-06-2004, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

To funny haha Nice post...hopefully her dad can withstand all the excitement when his baby girl gets a turkey lol...
Old 04-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

...LOL...She sound's like an "OL" pro now.....watch out or she may turn out to be your worst critic....lol
Old 04-06-2004, 07:23 PM

Yeah Wayne,
She didn't think it was near as funny as I did. I was busting my side laughing!
Old 04-06-2004, 10:58 PM

That's pretty funny... but It's bring me some bad feelings, for Iam taking my Dad on his first this year and it sounds like he might be related LOL
Old 04-07-2004, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

Man, you give somebody some videos, a calling gismo to teach proper sounds, and spend a season with them on your coat tails, and they are all-of-a-sudden an expert. Nah, sounds like your season is going to be a little less stressful than last year. I don't know if that 5 bird limit thing is gonna happen for her though unless she ditches dad. I was really hoping she'd tag one. Sounds like you may have to have another come-to-Jesus meeting with him so he actually lets her hunt.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:36 PM

I do believe this season will be less stressful. She was sick last night & isn't hunting today, she's trying to get her Dad to go out all day tommorrow. I told her she should pull a T.K. & Mike on his box call just to get his attention. I guess she could also hide it. Hope your parents made it out of here ok, it was really nice meeeting them. ANyway back to making calls.

Quick Reply: WAYNE 1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.