Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Any Colockum Archery Hunters out there?? >

Any Colockum Archery Hunters out there??

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Any Colockum Archery Hunters out there??

Old 07-01-2004, 05:41 AM

Default RE: Any Colockum Archery Hunters out there??

I hope you are right about the herd springing back after a few years of cow-closure. A healthy, sustainable herd will benefit all groups of hunters.
I think it will, when you take a cow bascially during any of the seasons, minus the early archery, they're pregnant so your killing two instead of one?

When we abolished Doe day in the late 70's, there were guys killing fawns and anything that moved. I started hunting in '82 or '83 but by then were had good numbers of deer , maytbe even better than today at least on the westside.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: trapper T

...I was here in the '70s when they had what they called "Doe day" you couldn't find a deer anywhere...We the people abolished Doe day and the deer sprang back rather quickly....now thery're on decline again, and why becuase we're killing too many Does.
trapper T.........I have been hunting in Washington since the late 60's in and I don't remember this. Was It particular to a certain area??? Just curious
Old 07-03-2004, 07:04 AM

No I think it was state wide, I can't recall a whole lot I was only about 7 or 8. My Dad and I would go to these rallies in Olympia at the St. Martin's College. It was called STOP or something like that I recall a stop sign as their logo? I think they were some watchdog group or something and that was their main agenda at the time?I do remember bumper stickers for this too...

It's a little fuzzy but I do distinctly remember it was to stop "Doe Day" I think the last weekend of the regular season back then was an any deer shoot, I remember seeing guys packing out their deer with it slung over their shoulder like you would a turkey[:'(]

Poor fawn probably diin't weigh 40 pounds on the hoof[:'(] Some of these guys get pretty crazy at what they shoot.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:32 PM

I have been bowhunting the Teanaway area now for 12 years. I have seen a decline in the number of elk there, but you just have to look harder for where they are. I have found that they tend to stay higher in elevation due to all the logging that has been going on in the area. Sure, some say that that has nothing to do with it but i hunt there every year and also visit the area as much as possible.
Last year was a very different year for the elk, I had a great year playing around with all the bulls in the area. I bugled in a 6x6 to within 10 yards. But to my piss me off the most I had no bull tag!! Thats the way it goes.
But this year we are going to a different area, probably Teanum. Unless I draw a tag for Teanaway, in which case i will hunt there. Hope eveyone has success this year!!

Shmosef