Unit 65 Colorado >

Unit 65 Colorado

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Unit 65 Colorado

Old 09-20-2014, 05:44 AM
Spike

Default Unit 65 Colorado

I will be Elk hunting south of Cimarron on November 1, 2014. Does anyone have any tips for best place to locate Elk on public land?
Old 09-20-2014, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Depends on the weather. Look at the migration routes to winter range if there's lots of snow.

All available on the DOW web site.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

I'm curious to know how you did? Any luck?
Old 11-11-2014, 04:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

He hasn't been back on the forum since starting this thread. Very typical for someone who comes on a forum, and ask where to hunt on the 1st post. I usually ignore those posts.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:48 AM
Fork Horn

That's too bad. There seems to be a wealth of knowledge on this site!
Old 11-12-2014, 05:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is, but making your 1st post asking where to hunt, and then never coming back is not the way to get it.

Those of us that know where to hunt have worked hard to figure that out. We expect other hunters to do the same thing. Knowing where to hunt is a big part of the hunt.

Maybe we can sight in the gun for him too?
Old 11-12-2014, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

You're totally right. I had to chuckle to myself when I read your comment...maybe we can sight in his gun for him too? I live on the western slope and have found some decent hunting locations in GMU's 65 and 66 during that time. But that was a process and those spots were hard earned!
Old 11-14-2014, 05:41 AM
Spike

Sounds like a drive by road hunter. Muley, how did you do this year? I just bought points this year because of the changes in my area in 511. But going up to Burlington this year for some quail. Have any luck. I'm thinking about Pronghorn next year..
Old 11-14-2014, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

All I got to do is a bear hunt, and no luck there. I called in two bears at different times, and they both circled around behind me, and caught my scent. The rest of the hunt was searching for berry bushes, and they had already been to them, and berries were gone.

I blew out my knee, and had to skip muley and elk this year. Planning for next year now.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

I can't complain about the year I've had. I've filled my last six tags. One in 2013 (Cow ELk) and five in 2014 (Spring Turkey, September Black Bear, Fall Turkey, Cow Elk B tag, Bull Elk A tag). All taken in GMU 65 or GMU 66 on public lands and unguided. The streak has to end sometime but I'm enjoying it while it lasts! Lots of scouting and research but it all paid off! I have one more license this year (either sex whitetail) and I'm not feeling too confident about my odds. Keeping my fingers crossed!