Rampart Range GMU 511 >

Rampart Range GMU 511

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Rampart Range GMU 511

Old 05-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default Rampart Range GMU 511

Does anyone one hunt Elk in this area? I was up there hiking this weekend and saw quite a few deer but no elk. If anybody can help it would be appreciated.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:52 AM
Spike

The elk are spotty, I never find them in those areas unless they are in the burn spots. I know loggers in the area who claim there are monsters in there just not much for populaiton. I have hunted deer/turkey in the area and love it for deer but thats about it. There are way better elk options in the state than there, from what the land owners tell me they just cant seem to grow a good elk herd there. Alot of this is due to the bear population and their habit of snatching elk calves FRESH out of the oven! They have it down to a sciences and the ranchers cant do much but sit back and watch, even hunting the bears doesnt help because its highly inefficient when you cant bait them in that kind of country.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

Yea I saw 5 different bulls and only 2 cows in the area I been scouting. Its also rerally thick in the area I been looking just cant see more than 50 or 60 yards. Still have 2 months tp find more.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Spike

I've been wondering the same thing. This is going to be my first year hunting and it's in 511.

I'm heading up there this weekend to scout. From what I've heard from multiple folks, the NW area that was burned in the Hayman fire is good to check. As is signal butte.

Accourding to DOW maps, the winter concentration is near highway 67. with their ranges being that same area, and the western mountains in the burn area.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Fork Horn

I had a spike, 3pt bull, and 3 bears on my cam thisd week. I have a bear and cow tag for muzzleloader. I fish up in deckers alot and I see a lot of deer on 67 right on the border.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:08 AM
Spike

nice c-rad.

I didn't make it up this past weekend, My hunting buddy and I are going up the next two weekends to check it out.

Hope to see some elk before we leave.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

I moved my cam to a differnt spot had 2 bears and surprisingly 3 cattle. No clue where the cattle are from but there on my cam. I am trying out another wash this week so I will know what is in there on saturday or sunday.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Spike

I live in this area. We used to elk hunt back in Divide in Manchester Creek area. Always seen a few. Quite a bit of private land though they hang out on.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

I been up on rampart the last 2 days hunting muzzleloader. Saw 1 small bul,l 4 bears, a doe and 6 turkey. Couldn't get a shot a bear. Got 7 more days to get something.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

Went out there in august, and saw mulies but no elk. Went thru the western part of the unit in the burn area. Its close to a major metro area, which is good and bad for me. Think we are going further west for second rifle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.