Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
Best Mule deer on public land general tag areas? >

Best Mule deer on public land general tag areas?

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Best Mule deer on public land general tag areas?

Old 02-11-2003, 03:00 PM

Default Best Mule deer on public land general tag areas?

Which state do you think has the best quality mule deer bucks on public land that you can hunt with a general tag or reasonable draw odds ( 33% or better). I am talking areas the average guy can afford to hunt.
Of the areas I have experience with I think Southern Idaho is very good. Lots of high mountain country to hunt. Good quality bucks in all general mountain areas. Lots of country so it is possible to get away from the crowd if you are willing to hike a little bit.
Wyomings popular public land hunts like G and H seem to really get hammered. I am surprised they can continue to put out the quality of trophies they do every year. I have hunted H a few times and there are lots of average bucks but very crowded early in the season.
I think many of the high priced high odds mule deer hunts are overrated and a guy is better off to put in for areas he can draw tags in and get to know the areas the bucks are hanging out in.
Anybody want to chime in with opinions on this one?
Don't give out any good spot info this is just for general discussion.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Best Mule deer on public land general tag areas?

I'm not a big deer hunter myself, but I thought you might be interested in some info on unit 32 or 32a here in Idaho. Don't get me wrong I hunt deer, mostly with a bow and take usually a 3 or 4 point most of the time but nothing real big like you're looking for, I just have a hard time getting excited over hunting them. You want to talk elk, now that's something I can get excited over. LOL. But as far as those units go I can tell you for a fact their are some huge wallhanger bucks that have come off cuddy mtn. right out of council. A couple years back a friend of mine took me to this old boys house by the name of Roy Eastlick there in council my jaw must of dang near dropped to the floor when I walked into his trophy room, he had 7or8 30 to 32 inch muleys on the wall as well as 7or8 33 to 38 inch other ones but the biggest one was 39 1/2 inches, needless to say he's all over boone & crocket with several of them. He had told me many stories on how he had gotten some of them and also said where he went he never saw any other hunters because he was further back than most would go. Being you only live in Meridian I figured you might be interested, if not no harm done. elknut1.

www.elknut.com
Bugling Bulls & Beyond!
Old 03-02-2003, 11:19 AM

Default RE: Best Mule deer on public land general tag areas?

I' ve hunted WY region C for quite a while now. Lots of pressure, average bucks, and land to hunt around Weston for 2 weeks starting Oct. 1st, but there' s a couple decent ones taken every year. When that ends, the season opens in the Bighorn Mtns. All public land up high. There' s always some nice ones taken from there. I' m just a meat hunter, (not a real good one, either), and like the Nut, I spend most of my time chasing elk around. I take the first legal thing that comes along. We have plenty of hunting area here, and I think a good hunter can bag a nice one here with a little luck. I know this doesn' t help much, but it' s another place to consider. Good luck!