Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Eastern Washington Elk >

Eastern Washington Elk

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Eastern Washington Elk

Old 07-10-2006, 08:13 PM

Default Eastern Washington Elk

I've hunted elk on and around Mica Peak for several years now and have yet to connect with an elk. It seems as if the majority of the herd moves off onto parts unknown around the time season opens.

My question is this, where would be the best place in Eastern Washington to go and have a good chance of getting an elk? At this point I'm not concerned about trophy hunting, I would just like to get an elk.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:20 PM

Default RE: Eastern Washington Elk

Seems like a quality hunt for elk is proceeded with the words "Drawing Results". Have hunted the Blue Mtn herd, the Rattlesnake herd and the Naches area, with results only when permitted.....
Old 07-13-2006, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Took me 8 years to get my first spike, in the Colockum herd. Best advice for places in E. Wash? Go extremely east, like Idaho, Mont, Colorado. This state just plain sucks for hunting in general.

BTW, been putting in for a big bull tag now for 10 years without (ever) being drawn. That goodness Idaho still has over-the-counter tags so I'll post some pics from our hunt there this fall.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Spike

We decided to try archery this year (first time) and got drawn for a group Bull permit. There are two of us. I had 2 points and my partner had 1. Not sure how we made it...go figure!

Now we just have to find some elk!
Old 07-24-2006, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! What tag did you draw?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:18 PM

I usually hunt GMU 334 with great results. We have killed bulls out of there almost every year, but they closed it to spike or antlerless this year.....dang....oh well.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm generally in 328/329 and a little in the Southern end of 251. Good luck to all this fall!
Old 07-30-2006, 08:41 PM
Spike

Power,

We drew any bull for GMU 364 (Rimrock). We rifle hunted there the past couple of years and saw plenty of cows. Since the GMU allows for spike or anterless for archery, we decided to try our luck. So far our luck has been pretty good, drawing the any bull permit. Now, we just need to find where the elk are during September, as opposed to November!
Old 07-31-2006, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, congrats! Sounds like you guys will have an awesome hunt! Just make sure to prepare for success, Sept. is a hot month and cooling the meat fast is very important. Just attended an elk-calling seminar last week and they guy said he uses this rule of thumb. Got to get the meat to 55 degrees within the first 6 hours or it'll be green. He took 3rd in the world Elk calling this year (Joel Turner) and his father was a butcher as well as talked to many other butchers and they all agree.

I've got the notes from the seminar so PM or email me if you'd like a copy.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:28 PM
Spike

Power,

I sent you a PM.

Quick Reply: Eastern Washington Elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.