Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

410 steel shot

Old 03-17-2005, 08:27 AM

Default 410 steel shot

was wondering if there is any steel shot out there to buy for a 410 and where, I know that you can buy bismuth in that load but a little to pricey for me. Was wanting to hunt this year with the smaller guage to prove some points that its not the size of the gun but where you point the gun. That being said we usually only shoot at decoying birds less than 30 yards.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 410 steel shot

That I know about there is no steel shot loads for the 410 .
Thank GOD.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:20 PM

ORIGINAL: johnch

Thank GOD.
If you want it you have to make it yourself.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:36 AM

Thank GOD.
What is wrong with a 410 as long as you know your range and you practice the load you shoot. This is where good (decent) calling and common sence come into effect.

How many younger folks could we get into waterfowlin if we could find a good 410 load. Nothing personal johnch.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

A 3" 410 dosn't have enough shot for the average experanced shooter to hit most of the birds with ,using lead.

The 410 bore is well knone for real tight patterens ( steel shot would be worse) that lack edge density for clean kills .

I am a trap shooting instructor for our club ,410's are put in the hands of kids because of low recoil ,after trying and missing lots of easy targets they get PO and quite trying.

Most adults lack the skill to tell a 20 yd from a 25 yd flying target ,Thats where IMO a 410 would max out.

Most 410's are choked Full ,a bad choice for steel shot.

I am not saying a 410 steel shot load would not kill ,just the cripple to kill would be high and the miss to cripple would be real high.

A far better choice in small gau steel shot guns would be a 20, loads are out there and it is a proven moderate range gun.
If for a kid the 410 is great for squirles siting in a tree but leave the feild hunting to a biger gau IMO

Johnch
Old 03-27-2005, 12:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am gonna side with you johnch!!! The 410 carries very few pellets and no beginner I know could use one on waterfowl, just the most experienced guys i know and that wouldnt even be good!!!
Old 03-29-2005, 08:56 AM

A 3" 410 dosn't have enough shot for the average experanced shooter to hit most of the birds with ,using lead.

The 410 bore is well knone for real tight patterens ( steel shot would be worse) that lack edge density for clean kills .

I am a trap shooting instructor for our club ,410's are put in the hands of kids because of low recoil ,after trying and missing lots of easy targets they get PO and quite trying.

Most adults lack the skill to tell a 20 yd from a 25 yd flying target ,Thats where IMO a 410 would max out.

Most 410's are choked Full ,a bad choice for steel shot.

I am not saying a 410 steel shot load would not kill ,just the cripple to kill would be high and the miss to cripple would be real high.

A far better choice in small gau steel shot guns would be a 20, loads are out there and it is a proven moderate range gun.
If for a kid the 410 is great for squirles siting in a tree but leave the feild hunting to a biger gau IMO

Johnch
Johnch you make some really good points and i dont dissagree with any of them especially the youth hunters after a little thought. But my reason for for wanting the load was for those that i hunt with that do not spend their time on the range and blame it on the size of their gun. Just wanted to exagerate the situation so maybe they could see the light and hit the range once in a while.(Snoot this is not towards you even though you are a magnum maniac)
Old 04-01-2005, 08:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Carpmaster

I am gonna side with you johnch!!! The 410 carries very few pellets and no beginner I know could use one on waterfowl, just the most experienced guys i know and that wouldnt even be good!!!
Believe me guys, 80 is not looking for this load as a beginner. Anything but. He's after it for the same reason .410s and 28 gauges are used by hot skeet shooters or an accomplished bowhunter starts shooting a recurve. To handicap themselves and add more challenge.

Now find him a load for this .410 so we can be more evenly matched. And don't worry, if he wounds one I'll be standing by to swat it with my 3 1/2s.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Typical Buck

no factory steel exists.

you'll have to use bismuth.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:20 PM

I checked my reloading manuals and none of them show a steel shot load in 410.

Quick Reply: 410 steel shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.