Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Decoy questions

Old 09-12-2016, 03:59 PM
Spike

Default Decoy questions

hi im pretty new to waterfowl hunting, i have done mostly waterfowl and some big game in the past year. but i have been trying to get my hands on some decent decoys for a nice price. i would mostly be hunting fields, and occasional ponds. the only thing is field decoy are pretty high up in the price range especially for me being 16 years old, water decoys arent too bad in pricing and i have seen many pretty cheap used, but field decoys are extremely hard for me to find used. is there any way i could use water decoys in the field? even just temporarily? anything will help! the season is right around the corner and ive got nothing!
Thanks.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have about 12-15dz of the Outlaw Dekes in Super Magnum and Magnum. I have used them on ice, fields and water. They are vinyl and mount with a plastic stake. I have cut some of the stakes off and mounted a steel stake with them and when put in the ground and bit of wind, they move back and forth like feeding geese. They are thin like vinyl siding. Killed many ducks and geese over them and are easy for 1 person to carry 4-6 dz by themselves. They also make a duck deke that I have 2dz of and have put them out on the side and they work just fine also. We use these dekes in fields that are hard to walk for I don't have a 4 wheeler and walk in to everything so weight is an issue at times. I take my cart with layout blind, 6-8 dz outlaws, spinner and gear bag n shotgun and away I go. Maybe a dz full bodies and 2 guys can hunt very effectively.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

I got just the project for a young goose hunter with lots of time and not a lot of money. Make your own silos.
https://archeryrob.wordpress.com/2013/03/21/326/
Old 09-30-2016, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know hunters who have been successful with less.

Don't let your decoys tilt on their sides, so they look like a "decoy".
Old 09-30-2016, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

Yea. It might not be as effective. But it'll help. If you can keep them straight.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
I know hunters who have been successful with less.

Don't let your decoys tilt on their sides, so they look like a "decoy".
We even cut the stake in half and rounded the bottom a bit. We take an auger bit and drill a hole into thick ice and we have used then on the ice while laying out on plastic and covering up with white sheets. I have taken pieces of steel rod and attached the 1/2 stake and put in the ground or top of corn stalks to get them above the stubble. When a slight breese blows, the dekes will move and twist around a bit, adding a bit of realism.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:47 AM
Spike

for mallard duck hunting you can follow these duck hunting techniques
Old 12-12-2016, 07:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

ducko, you can make do with water decoys in a field. All you have to do is dig a small trench with a gardening trowel, wide and deep enough for the keel to fit into so the decoys will sit upright. Also face the decoys into the wind and make sure you leave a big hole in the rig in front of you where you want incoming birds to land.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
ducko, you can make do with water decoys in a field. All you have to do is dig a small trench with a gardening trowel, wide and deep enough for the keel to fit into so the decoys will sit upright. Also face the decoys into the wind and make sure you leave a big hole in the rig in front of you where you want incoming birds to land.
I'm giving my age away, but you sure couldn't do that with the ones we used when I was a kid. They were rubber decoys strictly for hunting on the water and they had a circular piece of lead on the bottom with a lead weight attached to a cord. You held each end of the decoy and dropped it onto the water from a couple feet high and it filled with air and stayed full after it hit the water. It's amazing with that old technology how many mallards we pulled in over those decoys.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

I had some of those, you just wrapped the line and weight around them and compressed them and shoved them in your hunting coat pockets or game bag. The bottom looked like the opening in a huge condom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.