Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Graylag Goose?

Old 04-28-2016, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Graylag Goose?

Amongst the Canadian geese that are in my neighbors lake i saw what looks to be one wild Graylag goose, it is kind've off by itself and had to migrate here. I did a little research and it appears they're are a few feral ones in North America. Anyway i never saw anything but Canadians around here, has anyone else seen a feral migrating goose in the wild?
Old 04-28-2016, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anything like these four geese? They were on the edge of a flock of about 5,000 Canadas about an hour north of my city. Just the four of them.

Ron
Old 04-28-2016, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Neat picture, but it didn't look like those, i have a picture of it and it closely resembles a Graylag the best that i can tell.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here is a good picture of a Greylag. They look a lot like domestic geese, German greys etc. I have seen domestic geese with Canada geese. I won't say it is not possible but since Greylags are not north American birds but come from across the Atlantic the odds are you saw a domestic goose.

http://www.arkive.org/greylag-goose/anser-anser/

Last edited by Oldtimr; 04-29-2016 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Here is a good picture of a Greylag. They look a lot like domestic geese, German greys etc. I have seen domestic geese with Canada geese. I won't say it is not possible but since Greylags are not north American birds but come from across the Atlantic the odds are you saw a domestic goose.
I have seen two pairs of ones that look just like the Greylag pictures on the net and they are right in with the Canadas over at our Fairgrounds. They have a very blocky build and look like a darn domestic goose, so maybe they are. Their honk is exactly like a domestic and nothing like the Canadas and they can fly, but not as easily as our Canadas that are much more streamlined for flight..
Old 04-29-2016, 07:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Grey lags are also the basis for breeds of domestic geese and the appearances are similar. Even though Canada geese are not true geese, they are in the Brant family they have interbred with domestic geese on occasion which makes for some interesting looking birds that have people scratching their heads. Since Grey Lags are very big heavy birds they aren't the best fliers. They were also brought to the US a long time ago for breeding for food because they are big so it isn't out of the question that you may see one.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

No one around here can figure out what these four geese are. Albino Canadas? I`ve showed this pic around to all my hunting buddies but they are at a loss also.

Ron
Old 04-29-2016, 11:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can't get a good look at them on the picture, they aren't albinos for sure because they have black on the heads. The body shape and the neck length says Canada, perhaps a hybrid or an off color phase.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rbduck
Anything like these four geese? They were on the edge of a flock of about 5,000 Canadas about an hour north of my city. Just the four of them.

Ron
Finally found an answer....
Leucistic Canada geese

Ron