Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
New to waterfowl hunting in North Texas >

New to waterfowl hunting in North Texas

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

New to waterfowl hunting in North Texas

Old 10-23-2015, 01:53 PM
Spike

Default New to waterfowl hunting in North Texas

Not sure how to get into hunting for waterfowl but very interested. Any advice for a novice?
Old 10-23-2015, 02:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you don't know how to get started I recommend you try to find some experienced waterfowl hunters and pick their brains or perhaps hunt with them a few times. You need specialized equipment to hunt water fowl. You don't have to buy it all at once, but there are basics. You will need decoys, a call and you should learn how to use it before you do use it so it isn't a scare device, you will also know waders, either hip or chest depending on where you are hunting. You will need non- toxic ammo and preferably a shotgun with interchangeable chokes because because you will have to find what choke works with your ammo, or vise versa. You will need a way to retrieve your birds, either a boat or dogs if the water is too deep to wade and probably most important, you will need to know how to identify the various species of waterfowl because some have lower bag limits than others and you should know what they are before you have them in your hand so you do not violate the law. You can hunt them in fields which would remove the need for waders or a boat or a dog if you can find a field where they feed but then you will need a ground blind. You should have a blind as well for hunting on water. I would suggest you ease into waterfowl hunting because it is expensive and habit forming. In my opinion, it would be foolish to not at least learn how to ID ducks before you start to hunt them. You can buy waterfowl ID books that will give you field markings so you can ID them on the wing and you can buy books on how to hunt waterfowl. However, nothing beats an experienced mentor and gaining experience to grow as a hunter. Good luck to you.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 10-23-2015 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with Oldtimr, the best way is to find some one willing to help you get started. To add a few more tips. Go out and do some scouting in known duck hunting areas. You're bound to meet a hunter or two and we love to talk shop. A few times I have scouted an area and ended up hunting a few weeks later with some one I just happened to meet out there. Also, when you scout you get to see the ducks, how they fly, what they look like in real life. It helps with ID to see their silhouettes and differences in hens and drakes. Some other etiquette tips... most new duck hunters I have taken out like to shoot far (sky busting) I try not to shoot anything past 30 yards out 1) you will likely wound a bird and it will swim off or dive 2) you will piss off nearby hunters... Like Oldtimr said, it is a very addicting activity and it gets expensive. I have every thing from Decoys to duck dog, when I invite some one to go with me for their 1st hunt I just tell them bring your camo, gun, and if possible waders. Within a year they get everything but the dog. OH, almost forgot... learn to call but do not over call... calling too much creates shy ducks later in the season. Starting out do not buy a $150 call. I still use my $20 primos wench and it's almost 10 years old. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Most of TX is privately owned so you'll most likely have to get on a lease. You don't say where in north TX you are but waterfowl leases can be pretty reasonable as long as you stay way from the DFW area.