Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Canada goose/or any other goose prepared whole >

Canada goose/or any other goose prepared whole

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Canada goose/or any other goose prepared whole

Old 07-21-2015, 10:10 AM
Spike

Default Canada goose/or any other goose prepared whole

I'm planning to get into waterfowl hunting and was wondering if there was any geese (that you can hunt in the Midwest) that taste good roasted/cooked whole? I'm planning a Thanksgiving meal for the people in my family who do eat meat and was wondering if it would cook like normal store bought goose. Thanks!
Old 07-21-2015, 10:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Before you prepare wld goose you are going to want to taste some. Additionally, one wild goose does not a family meal make, you will need about one goose for every two people because the only real meat in the breast meat, there is a little on the thigh but not much. I like to pluck my Canada geese, then stuff them with tart apples and while they are roasting, baste them with apple cider. When you take the bird out of the oven, put it on a carving board or platter and tent it with aluminum foil and let it stand for 10 to 15 minutes before carving. Do not over cook them, the meat should be pink when you cut it, othrwise it will be tough. I repeat, do not overcook wild goose, or wild duck for that matter. They do not cook the same as a domestic goose because domestic geese are very fatty, while Canada geese do have some fat but nothing like a domestic goose which will be considerably larger and take longer to roast. I am not trying to discourage you, I used to kill some Canada geese every year for a chef friend who made them on Thanksgiving for family. I just believe you should practice first and get the cooking down before you spring it on the family. For ducks, I usually pluck them and fillit out the breast halves, salt and pepper both sides and scour the skin in a crosshatch with a sharp knife. Place skin side down in a skilletwith a small amount of oil and saute till the skin is crisp, then turn it over and saute until it is done rare, about 5 minutes, remove from the pan and cover with foil for 10 minutes and slice each breast thinly on the bias, then slide your knife under the breast slices which should still be in place and put it on a plate. I make an orange and cranberry juice and honey reduced sauce and spoon a little over the breast when served. I make domestic duck the same way but I put no oil in the pan because the domestic duck will exude a lot of fat when the skin is crisping. If you are interested, I also make pepper steak out of duck breasts and I have a quick and easy recipe to make goose breast on the grill.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 07-21-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man OT, you have me fixn to break open my freezer and get out a few goose breast and make some for dinner!!!!!!!! I like to cook mine similar to your but I breast out my geese and use just the breast meat. I also use honey and orange slices/juice with a good shot of soy sauce in a marinate for a day or 2 in a gallon bag. I then put them in the oven in a glass dish with foil over it for about 35-40 mins. I use a orange marmalade glaze as its baking. I have sliced the breast open before and put orange slices in it or bacon as also.
Last year when we went to Ontario again, 1 of the guys made a stir fry with some of the goose breasts. INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!! He used a lemon juice, honey, orange juice marinate over night. He then boiled ten for 30-45 minutes to get the toughness out. Changed the water after 15 minutes to clear the grease. He then cut it into stir fry sizes and added a bag of stir fry veges. flip fried for a bit and served. Was great!!!
Old 08-23-2015, 10:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Second chance, if you slice your breasts into thin strips and then marinate for a few hours in zesty Italian dressing and put them on your grill and grill till just pink inside, it makes a killer appetizer, or just a something to go along with a good beer or a glass of Bourbon and sharp cheese and some crackers. FYI, I never marinate duck or goose breasts whole, I always thinly slice them first,
Old 08-27-2015, 04:05 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
several glasses of Bourbon
I only changed a little of what you wrote. Then everything tastes great!
I like Jack. We're good friends.