Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

who likes snow goose?

Old 03-04-2015, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by kidoggy
that's why I don't hunt them damn dirty ducks. they just taste fowl to me.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:52 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by rbduck
Up here, the limit is 20 daily and 80 possession for Snows. I actually prefer them over Canadas. Soups, stews, jerky, stirfry, roasting, the list is endless. We usually share the bounty with the land owners that have given us permission to hunt their land.
Eighty is plenty enough.

Ron
Actually that has changed. In the regular late summer/fall season the daily limit is 50 and possession is "no limit".

You can't give them away to the local land owners where I live. No one wants them. They are called flying rats by many of the locals. In any event I find they cook up fine if you marinade them.

The things with snow geese is the wildlife managers want a pile of them killed because of the over population and the damage it is doing in the arctic. This need is tempered by traditional bag limits and lack of shooters. Then there is the problem of what do you do with all these birds?

In the most areas wasting them is not an option as you will get charged and even if you were allowed to just dump them............ most of us would have a problem wrapping our minds around that morally due to the way we were raised.

It is a complicated issue that will most likely be resolved by the population crashing.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

When my dad used to run a processing store. He would make this crew a total of 2-1/2 tons of goose sausage at the end of each season!!!!!!!! They would give it away as Christmas gifts to those who allowed them to hunt on their property. They never had a complaint!!!
Old 03-08-2015, 04:46 AM
Spike

Try them in a pulled pork recipe,
soak them in salt water overnight, then put in crock pot with chicken broth on high for 8-10 hours, then drain shred the meat which should fall apart and then added your bbq sauce the one I tasted was sweet baby ray's sweet hickory it was great tasted more like beef than snow goose!
Old 03-08-2015, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Reelcranky
soak them in salt water overnight
For the past couple months, I've been brining everything that goes on the smoker or grill; I even brined a pork shoulder which cooked in the oven-it makes a world of difference!
Old 03-15-2015, 08:04 AM
Spike

the snow hunting has been awesome in NE Arkansas
using the HM 3" BB's and we have been stoning them
Old 03-17-2015, 02:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default A few less snow geese in Idaho

Avian cholera:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0MD09620150317
Old 03-17-2015, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

I've eaten Canadians and domestic and loved them both. Are the snowies considered greasy? (a common complaint from those that don't know how to cook a goose) Or is it just a flavor thing that people don't like.

-------------------
If I lived closer to Rushville, I'd take some off your hands.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Murdy
I've eaten Canadians and domestic and loved them both. Are the snowies considered greasy? (a common complaint from those that don't know how to cook a goose) Or is it just a flavor thing that people don't like.

-------------------
If I lived closer to Rushville, I'd take some off your hands.
Its a flavor thing. I shoot them upon occasion with my buddies and have made them in kabobs and stir fry just like my canada geese. Not I nor anyone else knows the difference. I use Creamy Zesty Italian dressing to marinate them while they are frozen.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

Spring snow geese flying back north taste way better the. Fall geese coming south. When they come of the rice fields down in Arkansas and the lower states they have a way different taste. It's all about what they're feeding on. I'll never shoot a snow in the fall again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.