Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

who likes snow goose?

Old 02-27-2015, 09:58 AM
Spike

okay thanks
Old 03-01-2015, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

Relax a little. Goodness sakes!
Old 03-01-2015, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you brine them, they're good in any waterfowl recipe. I like'em shish-kebabed after marinating in Italian salad dressing. Simple and good, as long as you don't cook them past medium rare.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:41 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by JW
Enough Oldtimr he got your point!

JW
Thank you!

OP- one word: kielbasa.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JW
Enough Oldtimr he got your point!

JW
Yeah, let's just chill on the dude committing felonies????? [Deleted by JW - reason language]????

Last edited by JW; 03-02-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I've eaten more than a few of them and I found them good. If I didn't I wouldn't shoot one ever again. Failure to fully utilize all wild game taken merely gives a large amount of ammo for the antis to shoot back at us.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Up here, the limit is 20 daily and 80 possession for Snows. I actually prefer them over Canadas. Soups, stews, jerky, stirfry, roasting, the list is endless. We usually share the bounty with the land owners that have given us permission to hunt their land.
Eighty is plenty enough.

Ron
Old 03-03-2015, 04:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by flags
Well, I've eaten more than a few of them and I found them good. If I didn't I wouldn't shoot one ever again. Failure to fully utilize all wild game taken merely gives a large amount of ammo for the antis to shoot back at us.
that's why I don't hunt them damn dirty ducks. they just taste fowl to me.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by kidoggy
that's why I don't hunt them damn dirty ducks. they just taste fowl to me.
I don't care for mallards but teal, woodies and widgeon are good tablefare. I've heard pintails and canvasbacks are too but I've never tried them. Not too many of those around the areas I did most my duck hunting. For what it is worth, I shot a Tundra Swan last year and it was fantastic!
Old 03-04-2015, 07:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't think there is a better eating duck than teal. Canvasbacks are very good. Unfortunately, I doubt any of us will ever get to eat a canvasback that has been gourging on wild celery which gave them the flavor they were famous for back in market hunting days. The wild celery is about gone from the Chesapeake bay. The only duck I ever tried to eat and could not was a shoveler. The problem with water fowl, even more than other game is people have a tendency to way over cook them which destroys the flavor and makes them like rubber. If a duck breast isn't deep pink inside, it is over cooked. Also plucking and leaving the skin on makes for better eating, especially on those late season birds with lots of fat under the skin. There are times when ducks will feed on something that will give them a bad taste, usually divers but it is possible with all of them. Atlantic Brant taste like low tide smells when they are feeding on sea lettuce in the salt water bays. Get them on fresh water for a week or so and it is a whole new ball game and many of the oldtimers like them better than Canadas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.