Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Food plots to flood

Old 07-30-2015, 04:55 AM
Spike

Been looking around for some information on food plots for ducks and geese as well. Found this article with some good info on it.
http://www.hardcore-brands.com/hunti...cks-and-geese/
Old 08-04-2015, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by pheasantshooter123
What is the best food plot to plant that you can flood. I've been thinking of sorghum. Anyone who knows can you give me advice.
The answer to that is what food plants will grow in your area. Oldtimr is from your general area, and should have a notion about that. On my duck holes in Arkansas, I am blessed with Smartweed, so No planting. Also, we have had excellent hunts over simply native grasses that were allowed to seed out and were than flooded.

I have had a consultant from Miss. advise me on Chufa, which he finds very effective, especially since deer and other plot poachers do not eat it. It is a nutgrass. However, I planted an acre or so next to the Bayou, and the coons dug up every single seed before they germinated.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:31 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by waddler
The answer to that is what food plants will grow in your area. Oldtimr is from your general area, and should have a notion about that. On my duck holes in Arkansas, I am blessed with Smartweed, so No planting. Also, we have had excellent hunts over simply native grasses that were allowed to seed out and were than flooded.

I have had a consultant from Miss. advise me on Chufa, which he finds very effective, especially since deer and other plot poachers do not eat it. It is a nutgrass. However, I planted an acre or so next to the Bayou, and the coons dug up every single seed before they germinated.
we have smartweed growing everywhere but where we want it. and that's on the wetland. it chokes out our deer food plots but we cant get it to grow anywhere near the wetlands.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you are going to only flood seasonally, I still recommend giant smart weed and maybe some Japanese millet and bur reed. If it is going to be a permanently flooded shallow wetland I would look as planting some tubers such as duck potato. I suggest you contact these folks and tell them what you want and where you are and they con point out some plants and seeds that will do the job. http://www.kestersnursery.com/Wetland%20Plant's.htm

as always, good luck, it is good to see a youngster getting involved in creating habitat, especially when he is doing it with his father.