Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Steel

Old 12-18-2014, 06:58 PM
Spike

Default Steel

Taking my 12-year old duck hunting for the first time next week. I have a youth twenty gauge that I'm planning on letting him use (piece of garbage). I also have a Browning A5 twelve gauge that he shoots pretty well. The barrel says 'special steel', but I seem to remember that steel isn't good for the older (1970) A5's. Can any of you mud bloods give me your opinion - humble or otherwise?
Old 12-19-2014, 03:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

The problem with steel in the older shotguns was if the gun was choked tight the could be some bulging at the end of the barrel. Not dangerous and you really had to look t see it. I don't know about your Browning, the problem was more prevelant in dbl barrel guns because the barrels were thiner. Contact Browning and ask them, they can give you an answer you shuld be able to depend on.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 12-19-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

As Oldtimr said, same is true for your Auto5. Get your self some Nice Shot or some Bismuth shot, both are safe for the older Brownings. With that said, many folks still shoot the smaller size steel shot (4 to 6) in the more opened chokes like mod and imp cyl. I shoot Bismuth out of my Belgium Browning light 12 but it costs me an arm and a leg so I tend to save that gun for the dove field. Get yourself one of the Miroku made barrels for your older Auto 5 and you can shoot all the steel you want. What choke does your Auto 5 have?
Old 12-19-2014, 01:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Where are you getting Bismuth shot? If I had not bought a few cases when it was still being made, I would be out of luck because I will not use steel in my SXSs. I have been using Bismuth since it hit the market and had an in to buy wholesale. Now that they are out of business I will be sol when I run out.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Correct that...it's called kent Tungsten Matrix. Thanks Oldtimr. The Bismuth I have was purchased from Mack's quite some time ago.
Lol..I had to go open my gun safe to see what it was called.

Last edited by RPD63; 12-19-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks, I thought I missed that they were back in business.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:33 AM
Spike

Also if you have a gunsmith nearby you could always have him bore it out quick for you if he's got time. I don't know what the price would be cuz I had mine done ages ago but it's another option especially if you plan to do a lot more hunting and don't want to fork over that much for shells. Also if you're with a first timer, you tend to like to make more noise than aiming I know I still do sometimes!
Old 12-21-2014, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Withabow
Taking my 12-year old duck hunting for the first time next week. I have a youth twenty gauge that I'm planning on letting him use (piece of garbage). I also have a Browning A5 twelve gauge that he shoots pretty well. The barrel says 'special steel', but I seem to remember that steel isn't good for the older (1970) A5's. Can any of you mud bloods give me your opinion - humble or otherwise?
If I remember corectly, kent makes soft non-toxic shot as well. That or Hevi-Shot makes a shot for the older guns and SxS's. Not knocking your weapons, but why do you say its a piece of garbage 20ga? It doesnt have to a 1K shotgun to kill ducks. And it doesn't have to be a 12ga SuperMagnum to kill ducks or even geese. Just correct shells and choke make all the difference. I go to canada every other year and Wisc. every year to hunt geese and kill far more geese and ducks with a 20ga then I do with my SX2 12ga. Just more fun and less kick. And a 20ga with proper shot and choke will kill ducks and geese and distances that will rival a 12ga!!!
Go online to find Bismuth or Kent Tungsten Matrix. I still have some of the Kent and my dad shoots them in his older Y Model 12 and just hammers ducks and geese with it in Mod choke.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

RPD63, I just read today in my Shooting Sportsman magazine that Rio, has purchased the rights to the Bismuth shot name and product and I believe are making it now. The article by Tom Roster said Rio purchased the rights and name from Ely Hawk in England, who bought it from the Bismuth Co. There is a huge shotshell factory being built in Texas by Rio. He didn't say anything about projected costs though. Good news for those of us with double guns.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 12-21-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
RPD63, I just read today in my Shooting Sportsman magazine that Rio, has purchased the rights to the Bismuth shot name and product and I believe are making it now. The article by Tom Roster said Rio purchased the rights and mane from Ely Hawk in England, who bought it from the Bismuth Co. There is a huge shotshell factory being built in Texas by Rio. He didn't say anything about projected costs though. Good news for those of us with double guns.
Thanks for the heads up. That is good news. I'm a big fan of the Rio shells, been using them on doves this season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.