Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

herters decoys

Old 03-10-2014, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default herters decoys

I have a collection of old herters decoys some from the mid-50's and some from the 60's and some from the early 70's. All different from polypro to styrafoam. All different from mallards to divers. they are in good shape. I started hunting ducks in the mid 60's and we used the polypro mallard ones but added divers and more mallards along the way. I haven't duck hunted in 30 yrs and I love to still have them around I have one of every specie in my man cave. The big question though is would all these decoys still work fairly well? I look at the modern cheap ones and they have a lot more detail in them.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:30 PM
Spike

I think they would still work fine, although they are somewhat collectable.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:26 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gonewest
I have a collection of old herters decoys some from the mid-50's and some from the 60's and some from the early 70's. All different from polypro to styrafoam. All different from mallards to divers. they are in good shape. I started hunting ducks in the mid 60's and we used the polypro mallard ones but added divers and more mallards along the way. I haven't duck hunted in 30 yrs and I love to still have them around I have one of every specie in my man cave. The big question though is would all these decoys still work fairly well? I look at the modern cheap ones and they have a lot more detail in them.
All my Herter Model 72 are still in constant use. They do get a paint job every other year. And work very well!

Lots of them in this spread

JW
Old 03-24-2014, 04:56 PM
Spike

They worked well all those years ago and they would still do the job today. I have some old "Trends" and they suck in the ducks with no problem. Herters was great and is sadly missed.