Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

making snow goose decoys

Old 08-21-2003, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default making snow goose decoys

just wondering, there is a farm across the road from my parents home that uses white plastic to wrap bales up in. i am sure they throw out the plastic after use, would they work as snow goose decoys if i got the plastic, cut them in triangle shape, and laid them on the ground or put them on sticks to use as decoys? if so, it would be a lot cheaper than buying them.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: making snow goose decoys

I’ve seen them use white rags on sticks for decoys on hunting shows mixed with full body decoys but not plastic. I guess as long as the plastic doesn’t reflect sun rays it might work. I found anything with a shine or reflects rays from the sun scares the birds away especially on a sunny day. The other thing might be that the plastic would make more noise in the wind then white rags when placed on sticks. I’m not sure if that would also be a problem but give it a try and good luck
Old 08-22-2003, 01:54 PM

Default RE: making snow goose decoys

VTBuck,

I have used white plastic in the past for decoys. They worked ok, but they were hard to keep set in a good pattern. I like your idea of using the sticks to stake them down. As trailer said, i would just make sure that it isn' t too shiny, see if it has a dull side to it. One other thing, is to cut them into a diamond pattern, not the triangle shape. This will give more of a natural shape than the diamond. Good luck.

Schemy