Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

best waterfowl loads??

Old 11-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Spike

I shoot the cheap Winchester X-Pert loads from Wally World! I prefer the 3" #1 shot and love them for geese and #2's or #4's for ducks.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kent Fasteel, 3 inch 2's and BB's for ducks, and 3 and 3-1/2" BB's and BBB's for geese. Mod choke. They are cheap priced, but perform well. Have been trying the Hevi-Metal last year and bought 2 cases of it for this year. Really a good, load, a tad pricey though.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by SecondChance
Kent Fasteel, 3 inch 2's and BB's for ducks, and 3 and 3-1/2" BB's and BBB's for geese. Mod choke. They are cheap priced, but perform well. Have been trying the Hevi-Metal last year and bought 2 cases of it for this year. Really a good, load, a tad pricey though.
I agree...Kent Fasteel is the way to go on a budget. They are cheap and very effective ($15 a box of 25). I use 3", 1 1/4 oz. #BB for geese and #2 for ducks. If you can afford it though, the blackcloud shells are fantastic. With a Kent 3" #BB, you'll fold a goose at 50 yards and it'll take down a duck without turning it to hamburger. (the same load in lead or bismuth would shred a duck)

I'm actually doing research about this for my physics project and it's fascinating.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by tonyf84
I agree...Kent Fasteel is the way to go on a budget. They are cheap and very effective ($15 a box of 25). I use 3", 1 1/4 oz. #BB for geese and #2 for ducks. If you can afford it though, the blackcloud shells are fantastic. With a Kent 3" #BB, you'll fold a goose at 50 yards and it'll take down a duck without turning it to hamburger. (the same load in lead or bismuth would shred a duck)

I'm actually doing research about this for my physics project and it's fascinating.
a friend of mine that i work with uses the kent and says that he likes them a lot. he also uses the winchester xpert dry lok's. says those are real nice too. hopefully were going duck huntin on the 11th and im thinkin of maybe gettin a box of winchesters and kents and see how they do thanks for the help fellas. ill let yall know how we do!

PS- give us an update on what you find out in your research. it would be appreciated!
Old 11-29-2010, 02:46 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Right now Rodger's Sporting goods has a sale on Duck ammo.

I am goning to buy a case of blackcloud for sure.

JW