Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Remington Hypersonic Steel Issue >

Remington Hypersonic Steel Issue

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Remington Hypersonic Steel Issue

Old 10-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Spike

Default Remington Hypersonic Steel Issue

I shoot a Benelli Nova (as shown in my "Duck of the Day" posting) but am having a real issue with the Remington Hypersonic Steel shells I just picked up. I have never tried them (only tried two others) but there jamming my gun like crazy. I'm shooting the: 12 gauge, 3" length, 1700 fps (of course), 1 1/8 oz shot shells. Now, I'm also an avid grouse hunter and have been pumping out three different kinds of shells in the last week but these puppies keep jamming me. I have used Kent and Blackcloud shells before trying these out this year with no problem. Anyone else having this problem?

P.S. I love the shells, the pattern out of my gun is tight (tested) and it packs a punch like i'm shooting a deer (love it).
Old 10-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Spike

i dont know if this would have be the issue.... but your not supposed to use a choke with those i heard
Old 10-17-2010, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

Don't quite understand where the gun is hanging up. Refusing to feed or cannot get fired shell out of chamber? I do remember one time I could not get winchester shells to feed from magazine to the feed lip. I took the 20 qauge back to the dealer with some winchester shells and was told those shells would not work. Only guess the shell base was slightly larger in circumference, no explanation given. If fired shells freezing in chamber, I would suggest thorough cleaning of bbl. bolt lug openings. I would think the recoil pressure would be high with that velocity? Maybe resetting the gun so the release button when ****ed is jamming? Hell, I don't know. Had a friend shoot a Manufactuers 12 gauge steel load in an 870, and it jammed the bolt open and the fired shell had to be pried from the gun. No, I would not have believed it if I hadn't been there to see it. Didn't hurt the gun and the Rem dealer all but called him a liar, however he did get a case of shells from the Manufacturer after telling them what happened. I personally think it was a way over pressure shell and only attests to the strength of an 870. The shell maker will remain unnamed, but I will say it was not a Remington shell.

Last edited by Teddee5; 10-17-2010 at 04:37 PM. Reason: additional info regarding shell maker.