Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Whats your opinion on Buck Gardner calls? >

Whats your opinion on Buck Gardner calls?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Whats your opinion on Buck Gardner calls?

Old 07-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Spike

Default Whats your opinion on Buck Gardner calls?

i am lookin at buying the buck gardner canada hammer 2 goose call and the double nasty 2 duck call and was wondering what everyones opinions on them were (if reeds stick, sound quality, etc.) also if you have a favorite goose or duck call please mention them, thanks.

Last edited by Remington870_54; 07-28-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

They're the only calls I use at the moment...just to be transparent I will tell you that I am on staff for BG...that being said, the reason I looked into being on the pro staff is because I used the double nasty FIRST and liked it so much I wanted to start working with BG. I actually recently got the Canada Hammer 2 myself to replace my old Illusion call...It's much easier to blow for me which is good since I'm much more of a duck hunter than goose hunter. I think it sounds much "goosier" too which a little practice.

The double nasty in my opinion is the perfect duck call...really easy to do a rolling feeder call as well as get up for those loud hail calls...This year I might keep a single reed call on my lanyard as well though for those windy days or if I start hunting bigger waters...but I have called in countless ducks with the double nasty and highly recommend it! Mine's polycarbonate, I can't speak to how the more expensive acrylic since I've never blown or even heard one. (Hence my thread down a couple).
Old 07-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info! Have you ever had your reeds stick after blowing the call for a while?I also noticed in a catolog that there are two different models of each call (double nasty, double nasty 2 and the Canada hammer and Canada hammer 2) what are the differences between the original and number 2? Thanks for your help.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Canada Hammer is a great call. If you get one, spend the money and get the acrylic. The acrylic is more money but less than any other high end call. The plastic one does not sound as good and wears out faster. I have used the the hammer for years. It sounds as good as others and can really get loud. You can set it deep or high in just seconds. One of the very best things about it is...you can clean it in a matter of seconds, put it back together and it is already tuned. You can take it apart in the pit and have it working again in just a few seconds.

If you have goose hunted for very long at all, you have had a call get dirt in it and needed to clean it quick. Bucks Hammer is the absolute best when it comes to that.

Don't even go there with the Double Nasty. The Double Nasty is one of the best duck calls ever. You can buy the cheap plastic one and kill limit after limit. I prefer the acrylic one but you can kill ducks with the plastic one all day long. The plastic one needs to be replaced more often.

I'm not bragging but I am a duck and goose killing fool. I have killed thousands of waterfowl. I learned to blow a goose call and a duck call with Bucks instructional tapes. Thats right, I said tapes, not CD's r DVD's.

Last but not least....I met Buck years ago in Loveland, Colorado. It was right after his heart surgery, He sat down and ate a barbecue dinner with me and my buddy at Colorado Waterfowl Weekend. He even showed me the scar on his chest from his surgery. The difference between Buck and the rest of the call sellers is this.... Buck is trying to make a living but he cares more about the hunter and the sport than he does about his income. He is truly one of the good guys. Buck taught me goose and duck hunting through his instructional tapes but I also grew to love him in his videos. and in one short lunch in Northern Colorado.

If you are new to duck or goose hunting, I highly suggest his calls and his instructional videos.

Edit- I'm sorry I was so long but I am passionate about watefowl hunting and Buck taught me the basics of what made me successful in the sport that I love the most.

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 07-28-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

I've never seen, heard or blown a number "1" of either of those...in the buck catalog I have neither of them are in it...I've only used the number 2 and I would stick with those.

The double nasty 2 has what Buck calls "Spit Tech" you can literally dump it in water pull it out and call just fine! I've done it in the faucet just to test it out. I hunt up in Wisconsin from early season through the last day so from 60 degrees to 10 degrees and I have never once had my reeds stick even after being out all morning. Because my last call used to stick I am kind of in the habit of checking it when the air is quiet just to make sure I don't make a nasty squeak when ducks are coming down but over the past two years I've been using bg calls I've never had the double nasty stick.

The canada hammer like I mentioned I just got so I can't speak too much about it, if you do put too much air through it, it doesn't like it and makes a note un-goose-like...but it's pretty quiet and easy to recover from. I'm still getting used to how much air to put through that canada hammer and as I get use it more it happens less and less so it must just be my fault.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:37 AM
Spike

Which part of the call are you talking about which wears out quicker? I am currently using a primos wench duck call and a h.s. Single reed call, I have never had the primos reed stick and am satisfied with it but would like to have the bg as well, I don't like my h.s. call at all it sticks after just a short while of blowing and doesn't come apart for cleaning. For a goose call I'm using the primos Canada flute but don't care for the sound of it, I heard a bg Canada hammer blown at a hunting show and liked it alot.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:22 PM
Spike

the calls will stick after prolonged sessions but occasional cleaning will help prevent it. also you should consider the spit tech models, they go longer without sticking and have a great sound. i have his tall timber, double nasty, spit tech double nasty II, buck brush acrylic, and the canadian hammer II
Old 08-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Spike

If I were to spend the extra money and buy the acrylic which model of goose call should I buy?
Old 08-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

depending on your experience goose calling I would say the Grey Ghost. It'll take a little getting used to but it sounds GREAT and with some practice it'll become natural and you'll be dodging falling geese in no time!
Old 08-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

I am going to second the spit tech ones

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.