Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Lead Shot Ducks Example

Old 09-07-2016, 11:56 AM
Spike

Check this out!!

Old 11-25-2016, 05:11 AM
Spike

it seems that eventually ALL Lead will be banned.
the best shells that I have found (better than lead)
are the Hevishot family of shell offerings
Old 11-27-2016, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I, as well as many here, remember the great gone lead days. When we could fire either our own reloads with lead 4's or 5's and crush greenheads like hammers hit them, not to watch them sail off to not be found again. When we saw feathers fill the air, there was a splash and the dog was out and back with a bird, not to see feathers in the air as is the bird flying off to parts and places that only the dog can see. I miss those days, and now have to contend with what to do. I shoot non-toxic to only the tune of Hevi-Metal in factory and ITX shot in my reloads. They are the closest that I have found to the good ol lead. I load ITX shot almost exclusively in my 20ga for ducks and geese. Love the stuff. I have clients laugh at me when I uncase my O/U and load the banannas into it lean it in the corner. I just tell them to not laugh too hard when I play clean up on their birds with it. If they get to see it, they just stand there with their mouths open. Time and pattern board work makes it work. Spend the time to match your choke to your loads and you will be OK.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default Not that bad

My load back in the day was 1 5/8 oz of lead 6's in a 3" shell. Murder on ducks and pheasants. Hated steel for a long time, but there's no going back, boys. I usually laugh when hunters whine about steel because most haven't been around long enough to have used lead. BUT, some of you guys have used lead and know what you speak. I find steel today very effective when shooting a good load through a good choke tube. Last week I crushed two Canadas using Kent 3" 2's @ 1560 fps. Speed of your shot and pattern density kills birds. Bottom line is that steel isn't so bad if you know your load, pattern your gun, practice and only shoot when the birds are in range.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default And......

When deer hunting with my muzzleloader, I have switched to a copper Barnes bullet. Nothing to do with lead really. Those things work!
Old 12-26-2016, 08:41 AM
Spike

IMO, lead will eventually be banned all the way around. I use Hevishot
and am convinced that it is simply better than lead all the way around
Old 07-15-2017, 04:47 PM
Spike

I firmly believe there will come a day when you cannot use LEAD for any
hunting application. With alternatives like Hevishot, lead is not even
the best performing shot these days
Old 07-15-2017, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

You're getting better at bringing up old threads, as this one is only 7 months old!
Old 07-18-2017, 05:04 PM
Spike

well, lead is on the way out without a doubt..............
Old 07-18-2017, 05:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mallardmadness
well, lead is on the way out without a doubt..............
Might not be a doubt in your mind, but soon as the new administration took over in January the proposed lead ban by Obama was cancelled!

Quick Reply: Lead Shot Ducks Example

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.