Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Waterfowl Chokes - Comprehensive Reviews? >

Waterfowl Chokes - Comprehensive Reviews?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Waterfowl Chokes - Comprehensive Reviews?

Old 09-03-2008, 10:05 AM

Default Waterfowl Chokes - Comprehensive Reviews?

Hello all,[/align]I am looking to purchase an aftermarket choke for my Xtrema2. I am not really happy with the patterning with my stock chokes. There are so many possibilities out there (pretty much endless) and being a student, I do not have the money to test them all. I am looking into a couple in particular, kicks high flyer, patternmaster, pure gold and the strangler. Has anyone done a comprehensive review on these and/or other chokes? I have read reviews all the chokes and they all have their positives and negatives, but I am looking for comparisons.[/align][/align]Thanks![/align]
Old 09-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Waterfowl Chokes - Comprehensive Reviews?

I have a Kicks High Flyer Modified that is very good.Kicks performance will be hard to beat.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:19 PM

i stictly use Carlson choke tubes these days. they are a quality run business with customer service that is unriveled. a family run business out of KS. great products and they stand behind them. will cost about 1/2 of what other after market chokes can run. been using them for a few years now and have zero complaints. use mid range for first part of the season and extended range for late season and geese.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

i use pattern master and i cant find a better choke it all depends on what your lookin for i prefer a tight pattern for geese and the pattern master is great ill never use another choke as long as they make that choke
Old 09-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

i'll second PATTERNMASTER
Old 09-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Typical Buck

For me you have forgot the most important peice of the question, WHAT AMMO? If you have ever considered using Federal you will imediatly be told no ported stripper chokes. So no Kickes orPattern Master. Don't know the others. I would go with Carlson's extendedas well. I recomend you visit the Beretta website store and look at their extended choke tubes if you have not already.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Fork Horn

This is a letter and response fro Kicks:

Yes, you can shoot the Black Cloud out of the High Flyer
with no problems. The "vortex" black cloud choke will
pattern that load better than the High Flyer, but the high
flyer will pattern any other type of ammo better.

Thanks,

Chuck

----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Choke question
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 22:31:56 -0500

> I know that you have a choke especialy for Black Cloud
> ammo. I haven't shot any yet.I have a Kicks High Flyer
> Modified. Is it ok to shoot the BC in the High Flyer?
Old 09-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: crimedog

For me you have forgot the most important peice of the question, WHAT AMMO? If you have ever considered using Federal you will imediatly be told no ported stripper chokes. So no Kickes orPattern Master. Don't know the others. I would go with Carlson's extendedas well. I recomend you visit the Beretta website store and look at their extended choke tubes if you have not already.
Whats wrong with shooting federals out of apattern master?
Old 09-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tlutterba

Whats wrong with shooting federals out of apattern master?
Most federal ammunition now a days has those new Flite Control Wads that open at the rear rather than the front. The idea is for the wad to stay with the shot charge longer than a conventional wad. A patternmaster, however, works exactly the opposite way. The studs on the inside of the choke are designed to literally strip the wadding from the shot colum just before it passes through the choke and out the barrel. Flite Control wads are much stiffer and thicker than convential wads, the results will leave you with a very very dirty and plastic gummed choke tube. Moreover, the extra money you pay for the flite control wad (and I have my own opinions about that anyway) will be totally for nothing because all you are doing is ripping it up anyway.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just gota modified pure gold choke for my 12 gauge. I went goose hunting this morning and was VERY impressed. I'm not exactly sure how far this goose was away from me (the adrenaline made me forget everything ) but i shot it a ways out and messed up the entire breast with around 20 or 30 pellets. BTW, i was using Federal *Ultra-Shok Steel #2's.

Quick Reply: Waterfowl Chokes - Comprehensive Reviews?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.