Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Waterfowl Chokes - Comprehensive Reviews? >

Waterfowl Chokes - Comprehensive Reviews?

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Waterfowl Chokes - Comprehensive Reviews?

Old 09-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Waterfowl Chokes - Comprehensive Reviews?

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: tlutterba

Whats wrong with shooting federals out of apattern master?
Most federal ammunition now a days has those new Flite Control Wads that open at the rear rather than the front. The idea is for the wad to stay with the shot charge longer than a conventional wad. A patternmaster, however, works exactly the opposite way. The studs on the inside of the choke are designed to literally strip the wadding from the shot colum just before it passes through the choke and out the barrel. Flite Control wads are much stiffer and thicker than convential wads, the results will leave you with a very very dirty and plastic gummed choke tube. Moreover, the extra money you pay for the flite control wad (and I have my own opinions about that anyway) will be totally for nothing because all you are doing is ripping it up anyway.
That could do some explaining. I shot the Federal Black Clouds out of that patternmaster last year (only a box) and had no luck what so ever with them. I missed a goose at 10 yds and about 2 feet off the ground. The next day switched ammo and was blasting them.. So what would you recommend shooting with the Patternmaster?
Old 09-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Whats wrong with shooting federals out of apattern master?
Most federal ammunition now a days has those new Flite Control Wads that open at the rear rather than the front. The idea is for the wad to stay with the shot charge longer than a conventional wad. A patternmaster, however, works exactly the opposite way. The studs on the inside of the choke are designed to literally strip the wadding from the shot colum just before it passes through the choke and out the barrel. Flite Control wads are much stiffer and thicker than convential wads, the results will leave you with a very very dirty and plastic gummed choke tube. Moreover, the extra money you pay for the flite control wad (and I have my own opinions about that anyway) will be totally for nothing because all you are doing is ripping it up anyway.
That could do some explaining. I shot the Federal Black Clouds out of that patternmaster last year (only a box) and had no luck what so ever with them. I missed a goose at 10 yds and about 2 feet off the ground. The next day switched ammo and was blasting them.. So what would you recommend shooting with the Patternmaster?

I like the Remington Nitro-Steel. 1-1/4 oz of #2's. Or the Remington Sportsmans Steel 1-3/8 oz # 2's. Kent Fast Steel are good too!
Old 09-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

That could do some explaining. I shot the Federal Black Clouds out of that patternmaster last year (only a box) and had no luck what so ever with them. I missed a goose at 10 yds and about 2 feet off the ground.

Don't worry, you ain't the only one who has ever done that. Infact I think its harder to hit them at 10 than it is at 25 or even 35. Turkeys even more so. I know if I was in your shoes I probably wouldn't of had my face on the stock.

The next day switched ammo and was blasting them.. So what would you recommend shooting with the Patternmaster?
PMs seem to work better with larger shot. You'll want to use 2's or better.. for geese of course, you probably already are. Just shoot something other than Federal's with FC wads.

FWIW, I shot some black cloud last year, and no matter what constriction of choke I tried (I shoot extended Briley's pretty much exclusively). No matter what gun I shot or which choke I used, the patterns were pretty much the same throughout.. about IC/Mod. Great for shots inside 35 yards... murder on teal and woodies. Even shot a few close in geese. Everybodies results seem to be different with it.. I will say this though, the patterns were extremely even.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

[Don't worry, you ain't the only one who has ever done that...Turkeys even more so.[/quote]

You're definitely not alone
Old 09-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

I wasn't to thrilled with the black clouds. I know that I won't pay the $16-$18 a box for one, thats for sure. I will take your advice and shoot those remmingtons.. I shot 4's for ducks last year and shot BB for geese. When i shot my normal shells last year (Winchester Xperts) i seemed to do above average.. How do you like the Winchester's compared to Remmingtons?
Old 09-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

How do you like the Winchester's compared to Remmingtons?
It depends on exactly which Rems and which Wins.

If times are good and its available, my personal pick of all steel is Win Supremes (black box). They are just a tad less exensive than black cloud. The hulls and brass are high quality, so they will keep for several hunts, even if you get them wet. Same goes for Premier Nitro Rems. Personally, I like Xperts over Sportsman Steel, mostly because of the speed factor. Kent Fasteel has killed alot of birds for me over the years as well... just don't ever get them wet because they will rust faster than raw iron on the beach.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just tryin to get some expert advice... what size shot do yall prefer at 25-35 yards out, hunting puddle ducks *using a 12 gauge w/ modified choke?
Old 09-13-2008, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

I like #3's.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

I'd be the wrong guy to ask, since I'm shooting a Beretta with a 26" barrel and improved cylinder choke. Been shooting the same gun for 25 years and the choke is probably worn out by now, so who knows what choke it is anymore? All I know is that when I point it in the right direction, ducks fall from the sky.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot #4's

Quick Reply: Waterfowl Chokes - Comprehensive Reviews?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.