Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Duck Lice

Old 01-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default Duck Lice

Let me start by saying this: I don't blink an eye at blood and guts, I regularly eat food after the 3 second rule has well expired, and I drive a 4x4 truck, but bugs, particularly parasitic ones (ticks and such), absolutely gross me out. Well, I just finished breasting a few ducks and I caught a duck lice crawling up my finger. I got him off and after the wave of anxiety had subsided, I got to wondering if those things can be transferred to humans. If you've ever cleaned a duck you probably know what I'm talking about, but if you don't I have included a picture of one (gives me the willies just looking at it). Do any of you know if duck lice can be transferred to humans and live in human hair? Thanks for any insight you have on this. Meanwhile, I'll be in she shower washing my hair.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:57 AM

Default RE: Duck Lice

ive never seen or heard of those before.. thanks for scaring the **** out of me .. i hate ticks. This past spring, from my excursions to my bush to check up on my woodduck box, i've had at least 6 ticks on me, all on different days. It freaks the **** out of me and im usually naked and in the shower in approx. 10 seconds. Now when cleaning ducks ill be worrying about those things
Old 01-14-2008, 11:58 AM

I encountered many of those this year, they were on about half of the ducks I shot this year.I don't know if they can live in your hair because they freak me right out and I'd be waving my hand like crazy when they crawl on me. I hate bugs. But I'd just take a shower and then they'd be gone and I wouldn't notcie them anymore, so I don't know. Good question though, I've been meaning to ask that.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

mike, didn't mean to scare you, but it's definitely something to be aware of. Like WF07 said, I have noticed a few more of them on my ducks this year. I don't know what part of the country you are in, but we have been seeing them here in the South. I don't think it is anything to worry about, but they're still nasty. I have been reading about them a little more today at work and it looks like they do not infect humans. Apparantly they survive on feathers and duck dander.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:02 PM

im from southern ontario. I havent seen them on any ducks ive got this year, so i dont know
Old 01-15-2008, 12:07 PM

I'm from Maine, and me and my buddies have been seeing lots of them this year.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:12 AM

Most animals have some type of parasite. Duck lice cannot live on humans and a shower should take care of your problem. Some years they are quite common and sometimes not. Don't let them freak you out. You don't have to eat them.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:01 PM

I saw an episode of Buggin with Rudd on Animal Planet a few months ago that showed how specified lice are to their host animals. They have different types of feet, and mouth parts to hold on and feed from specific animals. With that being said, I doubt they can do us any harm. They are nasty little critters though. I saw tons of them on all of my early season birds this year.