Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Where do new hunters start? >

Where do new hunters start?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Where do new hunters start?

Old 10-21-2006, 08:50 AM

Default Where do new hunters start?

Probably a common question, but we're just starting. My husband's been bow hunting for the past few seasons. Though I have no interest in whitetail, I am interested to join him in upland and waterfowl.This is new to him as well. We've been reading and shooting trap for years. Now it's actaully time to start. Problem is that we have no idea where to hunt. Or actually I personally have no idea. . . period. What is the best advice seasoned hunters can give? We're in Northern IL and started looking at hunt clubs in our area. We have no family that hunts and our friends aren't the hunting type either. Any advice?
Old 10-21-2006, 10:08 AM

Default RE: Where do new hunters start?

pm sent
Old 10-21-2006, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you can afford it go to iowa for pheasants, and just look for public places to hunt, or get real friendly with land owners.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:14 AM

There are several upland clubs here in N. Illinois. If you do not have a dog you might want to hire a guide with one. As far as waterfowling goes, take a look at the Il Dnr website. There are several state run waterfowling locations. It may be too late for you to get in on a blind this season, they do an annual draw for the blinds. But check anyway, a lot of blinds go unused as the season moves on.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:52 PM
Spike

Does anyone have any updated information on this topic?
Old 10-27-2017, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are numerous state parks that offer "pay and put" pheasant hunts. Typically, dates are reserved prior to season starting. A dog is handy, but not required. These are pen raised birds. Wild pheasants are not easy to find in IL.

Private game preserves will do the same thing, but with quail, pheasant, and chuckar.

Waterfowl hunting is the most time consuming and costly of all midwest hunting. Unless you are willing to buy a couple dozen decoys and wade into a walk-in area, you need to find someone who hunts ducks/geese and go with them.