Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Duck Blind Ideas...

Old 03-03-2006, 05:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default Duck Blind Ideas...

Hi,

I'm getting a new puppy in May, which means I will spend most of my time duck hunting this fall from the shore. What ideas do you have or have you used in building, assemblying or buying a portable blind that you can carry in and out of the marsh?

Any ideas would be appreciated. My first thought was to try to find some thick guage chicken wire and weave some folliage through it, but I'm thinking it will probably be bulky to carry along with the decoys and might not be sturdy enough.

Thanks again for your help,
Old 03-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Duck Blind Ideas...

well something like a painted canoe to match the color of marsh then you could just stay in the marsh thats what i do
Old 03-04-2006, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

I have a Max 3D shadow grass blind thats portible to carry and easily set uP ill try to show you a pic if i can get it loaded We use them from bank to boat " with a little Modifications " but all in all not too expensive and portible.

Files too large sorry but I know most sporting goods stores have the colapsible styles
Old 03-04-2006, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

My lab and I hunt from my canoe all the time .
I have a set of stabilizers and a little pop up type of boat blind .
I have a ramp so he can get back in .

Johnch
Old 03-04-2006, 07:50 PM

I use a canoe a lot, too. Another option is going with a stack of slash. You pile it up for the hunt, then spread it out until next time. This seems to keep other folks out of my blinds. The last blind I built was on a lease and several times I walked in to find hunters using my dekes out of my blind.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Typical Buck

The best thing that has worked for me is making my own. Buy some ghillie material from cabelas or some place and weave in some tullies from your hunting area. Place a couple of sticks at the end and you have a portable hunting blind.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:10 AM

Why not start the pup working out of a boat at the beginning after he is comfortable with water retreives from land. The more he is in the boat the more comfortable he will be. Working off of the bank is probably the best way to work your pup, but the best thing for a pup is repitition and whichever way you can do that will be best for him or her.

Find some kind of light weight post like conduit and some type of netting for a lightweight ground blind.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:11 PM

Get some blind material (I prefer something made of cerex) then go to a farm supply store and pick up some electric fence fenceposts. The one that I prefer are black plastic with steel spikes in one end so you can stick them in the ground easily. I also use plastic ties to attach them to the cerex material. You can roll the whole thing up in a very small bundle to transport. Makes a very portable blind. I use an Otter sled to drag the blind and decoys around. It pulls easily in shallow water mud or grass.