Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Do I need better shells?

Old 02-18-2006, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default Do I need better shells?

This fall was my second year duck hunting, i really love it, but i have a problem, if i wound a duck the thing will dive down and i can never find it. I hate doing this because it sounds very un-sportsman like. I believe i was using federal ultramag steel shot #2s, 3in, 1 1/4 ounce, 12g. also i could tell that i hit ducks dead on, but they wouldn't drop. I don't want to give up duck hunting, but it would be wrong to just leave a whole flock wounded.can anyone help me by either telling me about a better shot?
Old 02-18-2006, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Do I need better shells?

Your shells are fine. You need to spend some time at the trap range and let the ducks come in a little closer. When you think the are close enough let them come closer. If you are hitting ducksin thehead/upper body with that load you should be killing them. Be quick on a followup shot when the bird hits the water.

Nemont
Old 02-19-2006, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nope, you don't need better shells, I think you just need to spend more time at the range and either let the ducks come in closer or just lead a bit more.

Cory
Old 02-19-2006, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the tips, i was thinking about how my gun was set up, i had a truglo snap on pin that sata lot higher than the bead, so i think i might have been shooting low, i remember taking it off but i never got a chance to get out hunting again, im not 18 and my brother was working so i couldnt goout.i haven't tested my theory on the range but i think thats what was wrong. I do shoot trapi usually get20 out of 25, and im pretty fast at follow up shots.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like ya need some prectice!!! Shoot some and you will get better!!!
Old 02-20-2006, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Personally If you are that good a shot and have troubles still TRY using Heavy shot a bit more expensive but i have found i dont loose many birds using it.

Old 02-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

shoot them twice. hit em on the first shot and hit them again when they are falling. i've got a dog, but i want him to make a dead retrieve and not chase a cripple around. some of the guys i hunt with aren't that good of a shot. i sometimes put my 3rd shell on their falling bird when i can tell that it's still alive.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have you ever patterened your shells and choke combo ?

I have seen patterens that plain sucked , when a different choke was great .

What works great for me may not for you .

I have 3 Briley extended Light Mod tubes and all 3 produce different patterens in the same barrel , with the same shells .

Johnch
Old 02-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Fork Horn

Maybe. You don't say how far away the birds are being hit. johnch has it right though. Pattern you load and choke combinations. You may also want to try a load with a velocity around 1,550fps 1 1/8oz 3" 12gauge with #2 shot.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

How many fps does you ammo shoot. I use winchester XX and Federal classic steel the XX is far superior to the Feds Because their FPS is 1400 instead of 1200 so try uping your velocity and see what that will do for you

Quick Reply: Do I need better shells?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.