Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

GoPro set up tips.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default GoPro set up tips.

I bought a GoPro earlier this fall and am planning on mounting it on my crossbow just for fun this season. Curious if any of you have them and what setting you use? I am assuming the highest quality with the fastest frame rate is best? I didn't know if there was any reason not to do that for deer hunting?
Its a Hero 3 plus Silver.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Call them up. They are very helpful. They told me how to turn it on without the audible beeping and a couple other tips.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:42 PM
Spike

I haven't used the silver but I have used several go pro models. I don't know what the settings are available with the silver but with the black I have two options I like. Either 1080 at 60 fps or 2.7k at 30 fps. The higher the resolution the lower the frame rate. Sometimes I like higher frame rates for smooth slow motion. Other times I use a higher resolution because I can zoom in a little without losing quality. Also with the hero 3 you can use either a narrow, medium, or wide field of view. You'll probably want wide most of the time so you capture whatever your doing in your blind/treestand but if your not trying to capture a wide angle in a close space the narrow is nice because it doesn't include a lot of the surrounds you may not want. Hope this helps, and if you have any questions let me know.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

I have seen a few go pro video on you tube and unless the deer is in really close you can't see it that well. I thought maybe the narrow field of view would be better to keep the focus on the animal. I know the Go Pro is not the ideal set up to film hunting but if I get any footage it will be better then what I have gotten in the past.