Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
 Can  you make a living >

Can you make a living

Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Can you make a living

Old 12-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Spike

Default Can you make a living

Hey

I am 16 years old and I am interested in taking television arts at the Northern Alberta institute of tech. I was just wondering if after I finish my post secondary schooling and say start up a hunting show could I make a good living or would I have to keep my day job?.And how much do the producers of these shows make a year on average?
Old 12-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Can you make a living

Well let's see.....I've worked with producers who have made anywhere from 30K annually to 10 thousand a day.
It depends on experience: what type of shows you do, video vs. film, MTV vs VH1, on staff or freelance, cable vs. major network, outdoor reality vs. life reality.
So--you want to narrow down the scope of your question?
Just my opinion but producers are seriously over rated in the "outdoor" industry---which doesn't even come close to paying industry standards on almost all the jobs necessary in a production.