Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
 Getting into the business >

Getting into the business

Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Getting into the business

Old 12-11-2008, 08:53 AM

Default Getting into the business

Im a 27 year old male who's hunted my whole life but never shot a video of anything before. Its always been an intrest of mine and I recently started looking into some really great schools. The cost is unbelievable but Im hoping the expirence would be invaluable. What are the chances of getting a job after I graduate with one of these outdoor channels videoing hunts. I would like to make good money, but more than that I want to enjoy what I do. Someone give me direction.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Getting into the business

It's a tough gig to get into.............................Most companies are looking for experienced videographers with at least a couple of years in the field under thier belts. You will need to put together a good demo reel of your work and invest in some high quality camera equipment and then make as many contacts as you can in the industry. There are jobs to be had, but the industry is very clicky and it's not always what you know, but who you know. My best advise would be to get in the woods with your camera as much as possible, school is a good starting point to learn the technical aspects but the real learning will come in the field when conditions are less than favorable and the subject is very unpredicatable...............There are no re-takes in wildlife videography, so you need to anticipate what the animal will do before it does it and adjust accordingly...........Outdoor videography is very rewarding, but also very tough to do well, you might find you enjoy hunting more than capturing it on video once you get into it. Also the pay isn't great until you establish yourself and become well known in the industry...........expect to keep your day job for at least the first year or two as you probably won't be able to make it off the videoing income alone unless you supplament it with other areas of broadcast work.

Good luck, if you have any questions feel free to give me a call. My number is listed on my website.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:08 PM

Thanx for the advice. How long have you been videoing hunts?
Old 12-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chris - When I hear Tom speak its like I'm living my life through this guy 7 years ago when I was 27.

Tom - One of the things I've noticed is that alot of the sales guys and marketing guys for companies like Federal, Cabelas, etc. Are actually doing video and also making their own shows...

As I reflect back on my life...I'm an engineering manager now....I wonder if I should have gotten a degree in sales or marketing and then put a video portfolilio together on my resume...And then interviewed for various hunting producers...

Chris - Your thoughts? Every weekend on the VS channel I see the VP of sales for Federal...shooting and then grabbing the camera.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

I'm going to pipe in here on the educational aspect of video.
I've worked with a few hundred students pursuing a 'Radio,TV & Film' degree as interns for a production company I work for. I have also had interns and assistants getting a "video technology" degree from a local community college............and drum roll:
The community college people were smarter, harder working, and more 'hungry' to learn because they were usually older and putting themselves through school and not dreaming of the 'big life' in MOVIES.
Check out your local community college for program assistance in video technology.

ALSO........I recommend getting a subscription to VIDEOMAKER MAGAZINE. It explains many of the processes of video in laymans/semi professional terms and also offers boot camps and classes that will help people interested in pursuing video as a career. It also offers several different outlets and ideas of purchasing equipment besides the ubiquitous "B&H".....(which I find overpriced and lousy customer service).

Look online for sources such as DV INFO.com, HBS.com, and Creative Cow.com for forums dealing with video, production processes, tips.

I also highly suggest that when learning about video, learn PRODUCTION & WRITING because In MY OPINION, the production value and writing of outdoor shows is what's keeping the monetary value and quality of the productions down below the industry standards of pay.
Write and format a better show (mousetrap) and they (the advertisers & sponsors) will beat down your door.

There's a TON MORE TO DO with having a successful show that just 'whispering at the camera', a kill shot, and unmatched video footage with a trophy shot.

Good luck.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

Pat makes some great points on the educational aspects...............Brian makes a good point about marketing. As for the marketing side of things, it really depends on what you expect you will be doing, working for a company running the camera and field producing doesn't require marketing skills, but on the other hand if you ever strike out on your own, those lessons in marketing will pay off tenfold. I have the hardest time doing what I do, getting advertisers and sponsors onboard because the market is somewhat saturated right now with shows..........however i have found through trial and error that if you can meet people in person as opposed to email or phone, you have a much better chance of selling yourself. Above all if you do ever sign on sponsors,DO EVERYTHING YOU SAY YOU'RE GOING TO DO FOR THEM AND MORE! Too many sponsor have been screwed over by fly-by-nighters and just plan idiots in the industry that they are very leary of doing business with anyone new. Matter of fact someone on this board has screwed over sponsors that i have had contact with, won't say who they are, but I think they know and i hope have a hard time sleeping at night! Anyway enough with the rant.
Listen to Pat's advise,he's been in the video industry for a long time and although he comes off crusty sometimesHas some good wisdom.

As for me, I have been videoing hunts for 10 years or so, just started a Television series in Oct. ....Alot of videographers on this board and they can all share some good advise with you.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:48 PM

Thanks alot guys thats way more info than I thought I would get. Its really cool to get info from people that are actually doing this for a living or at least getting close. Im going to check out that magazine pm 69442 wrote of. Ill start soaking up as much info as I can, my biggest fear with this is not understanding the technical side of it. What equipment to buy and so on.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

I am CRUSTY, aren't I?
All in good faith tho.!
Old 12-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: pm69442

I am CRUSTY, aren't I?
All in good faith tho.!
Just messin' with you !
Old 12-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I get video maker magazine...its a good one...When I find time to crack it open[:@]

Quick Reply: Getting into the business

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.