Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
 free standing stand to shoot from >

free standing stand to shoot from

Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

free standing stand to shoot from

Old 09-16-2008, 03:54 PM

Default free standing stand to shoot from

[align=left]I'm looking for a free standing stand to shoot photos from, We get monarchs roosting in our yard this time of year, that is what I'm trying to shoot. I considered a tree stand, (because I saw them at menards) but they roost on the edges of a walnut tree, so shooting from in the tree at the trunk will net me nothing, I'd shoot from our second story windows if they where in the right place.

I'm looking for something sturdy where I can sit for up to a couple hours and something temporary, that I can take down after the migration, and something affordable.

A place with hunters looked like a good forum to ask my question!

Please and Thank You!
[/align]
Old 09-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: free standing stand to shoot from

Welcome to the forums...................the only thing I can think of would be a tripod stand and they are expensive (250-500 bucks), Do you have any other tree besides the one they are roosting in that you could shoot from? For a non-hunter such as I assume you are,A 15 foot ladder stand would probably work well, (can be had as cheaply as $80), if you can find a tree that would be away from the tree they are in by say,20-30 yards and you have a good tele lens on your camera, you should do fine.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:36 AM

[align=left]Thanks for the welcome, you guessed right I'm not a hunter, more like crazy country girl with camera.

I dont think I can sit atop a step ladder for very long, my rear isn't that small any longer. I'd be willing to pay the $ in the low side of the range to feel more secure than a I would on a step ladder.

The Monarches like a particular place in a certain tree in the yard. If I could hang about 10 feet out our upstairs window I'd be in the right spot. If I could sprout wings that would help too... lol

I have a 70 - 200mm zoom and I can get an ok pic from the ground, but the angle is not the best. What got me thinking about using a hunting stand was the tree stands they sell at our local menards, but there is not good place for a tree stand in the yard, and I dont imagine my husband will want anything more permenant in the yard all year just so I can shoot butterflies for 1 or 2 weeks a year.. (I doubt I'd want anything more permenant either)

After I got thinking about a stand I got to thinking about there would be a few other uses I'd have for something like that too, I just wasn't sure what to look for, I just knew who to ask.
[/align]
Old 09-17-2008, 01:13 PM

Yeah it sounds like the tripod idea from Menards you have would be the best bet for you. Otherwise you could climb an extension ladder and get up on the roof of the house and secure yourself up there, but that is alittle scary. As a contractor I would say you could also rig up a scaffolding system against the house and shoot securely from it, you can rent scaffolding from a tool rental store.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:12 PM

[align=left]I dont think I could sit on the roof, the thought makes me nervous. But scafolding might be an idea, give me a ball park idea what it would cost to rent.

And I saw regular tree stands at menards nothing free standing, so what is the best place to look for those? My dad gets Cabela's catalogues and the like but I'm guess whatever they have will be pricy. There is a Dick's Sporting goods 45 minutes from me, I'm thinking I'll call them tomorrow. They are probably pricey too.

And one more ? is there a search feature on the forums that I could search other peoples posts about tripods to see who might have recomendations if I go that route?

Edit apparently I cant use the guy's name that is the sporting goods store name.

[/align]
Old 09-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

When i said ladder stand, I was reffering to an actual stand that props against a tree and straps secure, It will have a seat and platform so you will feel safe while in the stand...........If your house is the best spot to get the pix from, there may be a way to prop the stand against the house (depending on what kind of siding you have, if it's vinyl don't attempt it as the weight of the stand might crack it).

Sportsmans warehouse has this ladder stand for $89.00

I would cost you almost that much if not moreto rent scaffolding and planks, and even then if you don't attach it to the house you may not like being on it as it will have some wobble and sway.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:02 AM

[align=left]The picture helps! right by the house is not idea, because that corner of the house is where the powerline comes into the house. Around the corner migth work, it would at least put me on the same level as the branches, about 10 - 15 ft out from the house would be the perfect spot.

I dont know if the weight would damage our sideing or not its the old old aesbestos siding, (the 1' x 2' shingles)

I appreciate all the help, now I'm off to run out side and see if I have more than 2 butterflies yet!
[/align]
Old 09-21-2011, 09:54 PM
Spike

Default free standing stand to shoot from

Scaffolding can be manipulated to fit on any building, even round corners and across sloping roofs. It's essential for doing maintenance or repair work and allows easy access to every corner of the building as well as providing a safe platform on which to work and store tools. A job that would take a week just using a ladder (not to mention the health and safety implications) would take a day or two using scaffolding.

rent scaffolding cost | scaffolding rentals prices
Old 06-30-2012, 01:09 AM
Spike

A job needs a week will use a ladder required for a day or two with a scaffold.