Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
 Another Rookie with questions? >

Another Rookie with questions?

Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Another Rookie with questions?

Old 09-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Spike

Default Another Rookie with questions?

I am looking into filming my own hunts this year and am looking for some adivice. I (i mean my wife) have a Hitachi DZ-MV550 A (680 pixel CCD 18x optical zoom). I am looking for some direction, I will most likely be filming by myself, because I can't count on a buddy to film for me. I would like to keep the cost low to begin with. I was looking at the setup by bowseye.com. Does anybody have anything tosay good or bad about this setup? or suggestions to go in a different direction.

Like I said I am a rookie and don't understand a lot of the terminolgy so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Spike

Default RE: Another Rookie with questions?

I would not recommend this. I have not used this, but suspect this system like other systems will produce really shakey footage with poor quality. I suggest you get a good arm for the camera you already have and get practice using it solo. It's not as hard as you might think. When I'm solo, I mount the camera arm right around my right knee and face the woods so the wind is blowing onto my right side (camera looking upwind) where the deer are expected to come from. Having the camera here lets me adjust quickly with little movement.

JIM
Old 09-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

I'd say NO also for several reasons:
1. shaky footage
2. small ccd's equal bad quality footage
3. small lens equal narrow field of vision and poor quality footage
4. even though they say 'wireless' you still have to contend with MORE BATTERIES for the system--a transmitter and a receiver and a way to START recording on your camera that the transmitter is WIRED INTO.......ergo.....it's not wireless.
It is between the transmitter and receiver but HOW DO YOU GET YOUR CAMERA TO RECORD..........?? Buy their LANC control to start recording your camera.........ergo......wires.
5. Recoil from your bow will create shaky footage.
6. They didn't have one video scene on their web page of shooting with the camera with a bow.
And that's all I have to say about that.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

X's 2 to both replies.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

awe man...its going to get you some footage but itsgoing to be all shaky and crazy....

If you want full satisfaction you gotta go with a camera arm...and if you want video like you see on TV you will need a 3 CCD cam which is 800+.$$

It all depends on what you want....You can make good video with a camera arm without a bait pile...you just need to practice and learn to move the cam as you move in for the kill....If you add the camera into your other buttons and whistles during the kill...you will learn to utilize it just like you do with your release, rangefinders, sites and all the other buttons and whistles..In one fluid motion...and the ability to see the kill before it happens? You will do it on your own...

Tell your buddies to get off the couch and to tell their wives to turn them loose with you[8D]I know how it goes! Been there...I'm there

MW
Old 09-05-2008, 07:11 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the suggestions.

It looks like I will be buying a arm and starting from there. Good luck for the upcoming season.

hunterkc

Old 09-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

Just make sure the arm you buy is matched to the wieght of your camera, and if you want good fluid footage don't skimp and buy the cheapest one you find. There are a few really informative posts on here about camera arms...........